gimble
Explorer
portfolio
Craig Peck
Animator
London, United Kingdom

Dialogue Piece

Hello!

Been a while since I posted anything but I just thought I'd share my finished dialogue test that I completed not long ago. Please critique! I'm really trying to learn this acting stuff which is so difficult!

http://vimeo.com/craigpeck/audition

Thanks!

Craig.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
tdjordan
Frequenter

portfolio
Tyler Jordan
Creative Director / Co-Owner
Ragdoll Studio LLC
Boston, USA

Send a message via AIM to tdjordan
Very nice job, animation wise I can't think of an improvement lol, there was some shadow flickering but thats okay!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
NickWhitmire
Lord of the posts

portfolio
nick whitmire
Animator
Blur Studio
Venice, USA

Awesome stuff. Great acting. Also, big fan of the ice age reel. Super well done work

Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Whitmire
Frequenter

portfolio
Brian Whitmire
Lead Character Animator
Blur Studio
Los Angeles, USA

Great work. love the stegasaurus walk. Solid stuff!

www.brian-whitmire.com

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
gimble
Explorer
portfolio
Craig Peck
Animator
London, United Kingdom

Thanks guys! Yeah rendering isn't my thing, I played around for ages to try and get that darn fg flickering to stop.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
tdjordan
Frequenter

portfolio
Tyler Jordan
Creative Director / Co-Owner
Ragdoll Studio LLC
Boston, USA

Send a message via AIM to tdjordan
Flickering is usually caused by low sample rate in your shadows, try upping the sample rate next time

Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
gimble
Explorer
portfolio
Craig Peck
Animator
London, United Kingdom

Ah cool thanks! I'l try that next time. I read I had to increase the point interpolation but this obviously still didn't get rid of it all. Cheers

Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
kalfred02
Veteran

Kent Alfred
Reel FX
Arlington, USA

Feedback

Hey Craig, first of all, great job, this looks nice. I do have a couple of thoughts for you though.

1. Her face is being posed in a really unappealing way. The upper lids are cranked WAY too high, and the lower ones are too high as well. Bring them both down overall and she'll be a lot more appealing.
2. She's showing too much of her top teeth, drop the upper lip just a bit to add more appeal.
3. The acting is too bland... everything feels like your first thought, not something original, or appealing. Yeah, the motion is fluid, but the acting itself is just flat. For example, when she says "are the following", you could have her tilt her head a bit to the left. Overall all of her motion is straight up and down with a few head shakes, instead of subtle changes in the arc of body, playing with texture and variation in the motion.

That's pretty much it. The body is alright, except if you can add a little bow to the upper arm that'll help them feel less CG.

Hope you work it out!
~Kent

Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
gimble
Explorer
portfolio
Craig Peck
Animator
London, United Kingdom

Hey Kent!

Thanks loads for taking the time to critique, I really appreciate it!

I can see what you mean with the lids, like it's too much effort for her to hold them in the pose she has, especially those bottom ones. My brother-in-law who knows nothing about animation actually said he felt the eyes look odd. I'll try pulling them down like you said.

I think my main problem is that I've tried to stick to my video reference too much which is a problem I have, like I'm afraid to experiment veering off from the reference. I really need to get into thumb nailing, something I've become lazy with and I didn't actually do for this piece, which shows! I guess this would help me get better ideas in to help with the variation of the motion like you mentioned.

I'll defo try out those changes you mentioned on it though.

Thanks mate!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
kalfred02
Veteran

Kent Alfred
Reel FX
Arlington, USA

There's nothing wrong with sticking to your reference, and nothing wrong with not thumbnailing. I don't thumbnail at all, but I do rely heavily on my video reference. The trick to getting the vid reference right is to do a LOT of different takes. Then piecing together the different parts until you have something really great. Also, there is a certain amount of interpreting of reference you'll have to do as well, for example things with the lids like that. Play with the rig, and look at other people's animations to find out what kind of poses are most appealing. When you're doing your anim, you can still base it on the reference, just keep it in that realm of "appeal" when you're working. Know what I mean?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
gimble
Explorer
portfolio
Craig Peck
Animator
London, United Kingdom

Wow man your reel is really good! Just took a look That's interesting to hear that you usually don't thumb nail, me too, but that's usually because I'm rushed for time and I just dive straight into it! I usually blame my bad planning when something doesn't turns out not how I envisioned it, but that's interesting to hear your workflow. I saw a youtube video made by the animschool website where that dude Jeff Gabor talks about thumb nailing in 3D, where you're actually posing the rig and using those as your thumb nails. I guess sometimes the rig can't be posed into what you draw on paper, or it just doesn't look appealing. I've mostly worked in games and kids tv, and man you feel like you're wasting valuable time thumb nailing. My last gig we had to do 5 seconds of final animation a day! Every hour we did planning on paper etc was an hours overtime at the end of the day!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
kalfred02
Veteran

Kent Alfred
Reel FX
Arlington, USA

Yeah I've done that kind of work before too, and in that case you are right, you do have to ditch planning. But if you want good creature quality work, you have to spend a ton of time planning, and learning to make good choices, not just the first things that pop into your mind.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I think the whole thing is excellent. Facial expressions, synch etc. are first rate.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread