First look at RoboCop's new suit design

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #376
Holy crap SheepFactory! You are so right.
1983 stuff looks better than the 2013 stuff.

Human hand still sucks.
The black color sucks even more! Michael Keaton sounded like an idiot saying "We need this to look more tactical, put it in black" I know this was a line in the movie but you know some idiot exec said that line and probably all proud it made it in the movie.

Dude really? Why do they make crappy remakes like this?

And so he gets hurt in an explosion vs...

Last edited by banman7 : 09 September 2013 at 12:08 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #377
Now what bugs me on second viewing is that the robots and Robocop all look like cylons. I hope one of them says "By Your Command!"

Old 09 September 2013   #378
Or how the entire social commentary, dark humor, and street crime scenarios along with simple gimmickry were rolled into one seamless assembly as in this example from the 1987 original .

Again... they should have just kept altering it until they ended up with something different and called it a day... or at least write it as a continuation of RoboCop but set in some further time in the future or something.

Old 09 September 2013   #379
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Or how the entire social commentary, dark humor, and street crime scenarios along with simple gimmickry were rolled into one seamless assembly as in this example from the 1987 original .

Again... they should have just kept altering it until they ended up with something different and called it a day... or at least write it as a continuation of RoboCop but set in some further time in the future or something.

I agree, just follow the Knight Rider example. By adding a retirement scene / passing of the torch, people can accept current Knight Rider. The fan know they are not replacing The Hoff, it just that people retires, and the job falls on new recruit - today knight for today world.

I think 75% robocop complain can be deminished by saying that his brain is suffering to Alzheimer or something, too old and about to be brain dead, and do a proper funeral. Pay some of the old actor/actress token to do a special appearance at the scene and call it a day.

I think modern CHIP get an older child actor to do the same mischief he did as a kid to do a proper 'passing of the torch'. Although Eric Estrada still included.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048608/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Last edited by fablefox : 09 September 2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: add link

Old 09 September 2013   #380
Here is a great doc on the making of Robocop:

Robocop - 05 Special Effects - Then and Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HgF4kq4j50
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2013   #381
Originally Posted by fablefox: I agree, just follow the Knight Rider example. By adding a retirement scene / passing of the torch, people can accept current Knight Rider. The fan know they are not replacing The Hoff, it just that people retires, and the job falls on new recruit - today knight for today world.

I think 75% robocop complain can be deminished by saying that his brain is suffering to Alzheimer or something, too old and about to be brain dead, and do a proper funeral. Pay some of the old actor/actress token to do a special appearance at the scene and call it a day.

I think modern CHIP get an older child actor to do the same mischief he did as a kid to do a proper 'passing of the torch'. Although Eric Estrada still included.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048608/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

I wouldn't even work that hard. I would have gone with: "Murphy died ages ago" and it's now this "flying cars future"? You know.. Delta City already happened.... RoboCop is gone....You might even be able to come up with how the current OCP didn't follow up the program because:

Quote: "Putting Alex in that box made him invincible.. but it couldn't make him immortal....He ended up with a life span only 5 years better than a bomb-sniffing dog. We lost money on that cop. He was a good cop for Old Detroit. It's thanks to him we have Delta City. But he was very bad in the eyes of our Accountants. We couldn't line up a whole gang of volunteers to make a RoboArmy so there was no military contract potential. The ED-209 project went down the tubes, and don't remind me about that whole Cain fiasco. Murphy became a novelty. He made us popular, but he was just an expense item, not a profit item. So you might say he was a bit of a Loss Leader."

That basically means you have this sub-theme of "Do you really make a difference?" Because you reveal that years after RoboCop is gone.. crime is again rearing its head in the "flying cars future".

And there's this idea now where if you want to make another Robot-Cop there's this notion against putting a guy in a box again.

And basically one of the themes could be about how we have to keep trying to make that difference - even if it means bending that limitation/taboo of making another cyborg.

===========

When Phil Tippet breaks the ED-209 miniature: "Oh no Phil.. I think that's going to come off your salary."

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 09 September 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #382
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Technically Total Recall wasn't a remake of the Schwarzenegger film, rather it's an adaptation of Philip K. Dick's "We can Remember It For you Wholesale".

I've read "Wholesale", and the new Recall was still largely a retread of Arnie's Recall.

Old 09 September 2013   #383
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Here is a great doc on the making of Robocop:

Robocop - 05 Special Effects - Then and Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HgF4kq4j50

That was a great watch, thanks for posting.

Old 09 September 2013   #384
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: I've read "Wholesale", and the new Recall was still largely a retread of Arnie's Recall.

Ahem... I did say "Technically"...

They were getting off on a "Technicality".

Old 02 February 2014   #385
Welp, the movie is out now. Before I saw it, I griped about the hand and a few other things and Then I saw it.. and I really liked it! More surprising... I actually really liked what they did with his hand.

Nicely done! I just wish I could express my shock at feeling this way.

Old 02 February 2014   #386
I thought this movie was a ton of fun as well. Definitely recommend it.

Old 02 February 2014   #387
Well... you can do a "well-constructed" film about anything.

A friend of mine went to see it. And his statement was

"It was pretty cool. Very good. Definitely an 8 out of 10"

Then he pauses for a while.

"But the original is still a 10."

Old 02 February 2014   #388
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread