Rendering for Camera Mapping For Shows and Events

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Rendering for Camera Mapping For Shows and Events

Hello everyone, I hope this post is in the right place! My company is making a camera mapping for a show, and we need to make a virtual tour around the city.
We have 3 projectors and 3 walls, in a room we are projecting in 3 of its walls, it's a half square

Front wall 5 meters
Left and right walls 3meters

We are using 180 renders from vray with a wide aspect ratio. But the problem comes when we see the projection , obviously when the point of view changes from one wall to the other, the straight lines change their direction, and the inmersive effect disappears.

Does anyone have an idea how to create the renders for this kind of mapping?.

I've attached a digital reference of the room

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reference.jpg (62.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 08 August 2013   #2
its 99% impossible. in a nutshell, the lines will only work from a single point in the room, the exact centre. From any other position, the lines will suddenly change direction. Youre asking for the impossible.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
You have to create 3 seperate renders, not one 180 render.
Set up your VRay cameras like the real projectors.
You might need third party projection mapping software to warp the seams (I don't remember exactly which one the company I worked for used, but a google search should help)

Old 08 August 2013   #4
So long as he enabled the lens distortion, a single 180 image will be identical to 3 individual renders sliced up, but still, it will only work from 1 point in the room, youre just going to have to live with the lines

Old 08 August 2013   #5
If you could build a half cylinder in the room from a single sheet of stretched fabric / paper, you wouldn't have any corners to ruin your projection effect (if you can hire a cyclorama cloth backdrop from a film/TV/theatre company this would be best). Some form of tracking in an arc shape would allow you to hang the fabric from the ceiling (you'll need to attach it to the floor as well or it may move which will ruin the illusion). You could project onto this surface and hopefully achieve a more seamless result.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread