DirectX 11 or OpenGL?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
DirectX 11 or OpenGL?

Simple question here and I apologize if it's already been discussed, but if I set Maya to use DX 11 in the display options, does that mean it's using DX 11 at all times or only with Viewport 2.0?

And is there any real advantage of one over the other for basic working without the need to view extravagant shaders, i.e., is one generally faster or slower?

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
It only uses DX for viewport 2 if you enable it. I found that my Maya would crash on exit on my Windows machine when I had DX enabled so I switched it back to GL. There's only an advantage if you want to work with the DirectX Übershader for game previs.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thanks cgbeige, so in other words it only uses it for Viewport 2, and uses OpenGL at all other times? Or it tries to use DX 11, but has issues and hence the crash on exit?

Not like it's a big deal, just that I'm curious and wondering when I should use DX and when not. I'm using the Maya 2014 demo and I'm just trying to learn as much about its new features as quickly as possible. I'm no stranger to Maya, although I haven't used it regularly since Maya 2012.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Interesting... I switched that option to DX when I started using 2014, and its been set that way ever since. I've had a few crashes on exit, but not that often. Now you have me wondering if those times it crashed coincide with the times I used viewport 2 (which is also not that often).

David

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Interesting about those crashes-on-exit, I've been getting several of those since I started using 2014 Sp1 a couple of days ago, I'm not using DX11 though, just the OGL mode. I do use Vp2 quite a bit, but haven't narrowed exactly what causes the crashes yet.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 06 June 2013   #6
I have a somewhat related question for you guys. I work in previz and we use the DX-11 uber shader and v2.0 (dx-11) often times as our main source of rendering. Do any of you run into an error that says GPU texture ram exceeded? We get it quite often in the office and when it happens our viewport turns greyscale. This forces us to restart Maya and sometimes the computer when in order to restore 2.0 and the textures.

I didnt know if you guys had any settings tricks besides the "clamp texture resolution" option.

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread