Zbrushworkshops.com videos observations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
From my perspective as an almost 18 year old (next Friday by the way), I think both methods are important. If I want a quick tip on how to do or fix something in ZBrush, I will go hunting on Youtube or on the forum here or elsewhere. For deeper understanding of how/why and of course where to start I can sit out a longer tutorial.

At first I thought Ryan's lectures were just like sitting in class in school, having to suffer all the boring talk and waiting for something good to happen while all the time the grass was growing under our feet. Like in metalwork when we were being taught to weld, we had to listen to 30 minutes of safety talk before we even got near the gas bottles. 30 minutes of torture and all we wanted was to get at the gas bottles and burn something!

So while I agree with the forums ZBrush guru Informerman, I can see how the loooong tuts have something to offer also especially for more mature and patient learners.

Bottom line is that while I like the educationsl/in depth tutorials, I prefer the short and to the point ones better.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Learning the tools is the easy part. Anybody can do that. And granted, Zbrush has a lot of tools that work in harmony and learning the toolset is essential for an efficient workflow, but once this is achieved it's on to the long path of anatomical study. Learning to see forms. It amazes me when I see a really good artist effortlessly etch in a few landmarks on a really low-poly sculpt and see the forms emerge in startling clarity. That is the real skill; and one we can all strive for.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
i think what hes saying is Ryan teaches in baby steps so everyone can understand
but then again some people are a little more advance and prefer not going threw the baby steps.
in other words dont teach a collage person starting out at as third grade level

Originally Posted by musashidan: Learning the tools is the easy part. Anybody can do that..

i disagree, most of the people i seen know zbrush and can model Very well
but far as really knowing zbrush how it really works is a small % percentage.
zbrush is like a dictionary it has so much information but then again how much information can you take before you dont understand?
if you could read a dictionary in a week how long would it take you to fully understand it?
Learning the tools is Not easy unless you fully understand it.
if you can model good in zbrush does not mean you know zbrush.
but then again im not the best modeler but i know zbrush very well, even taught Ryan a few thing when he worked for pixologic.
my down fall with zbrush is i been using it since it first came out and was one of my first 3d app's
and i Learn backwards, i didnt know what good topology was or having good UV as long as my mesh looked good to me i didn't see any problems but know zbrush has great utility tools to help fixs it.
zbrush is the first and one of a kind and if you haven't noticed why other 3d apps are trying to copy it

Last edited by informerman : 03 March 2013 at 03:25 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Originally Posted by informerman: i think what hes saying is Ryan teaches in baby steps so everyone can understand....

Yes that's it!

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread