Animated Ribbon Bow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Animated Ribbon Bow

I am trying to animate a ribbon bow untying itself using splines with extrusions and I am having great trouble creating the knot. Does anyone here know of any good tuts out there that will help me?

I have tried Google but haven't found anything which is why I ask.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
You could create clusters on the cvs of the bow area of the ribbon and create a blend shape to make it form a knot shape when needed.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
We did a job with a bow tie and in the end it was essentially a cluster rig...if you need to see the bow tie/un-tie close up with no trickery then chances are something like this is in your future. The problem was the up-vector/twisting with the lofted/extruded ribbon surface which we solved with in-house tools, but it could be created using a bunch of aim constraints.
The last thing I will say is, its complicated....good luck!

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Aim constraints and perhaps a lattice/cluster rig would make this doable. There was a script out there that set everything up for you, you just had to edit the memberships, I can't for the life of me recall the name of it now sorry. You might search creativecrash and see if anything pops up.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thanks peeps for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I, with the help of dedicated rigger/animator managed to get a rigged ribbon to do what we wanted although it did need a lot of blendshapes for the bow untying sequence - the rig couldn't quite hack that bit :-)

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread