Spaceship fly-by scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Spaceship fly-by scene

Hi,

I am modeling a spaceship in Maya. When I'm done I want to do a scene where the ship is flying in space. Coming from far, flying by the camera, and then going away towards a planet far away.

I need a little help with how I will do this. No details, only in which order. And maybe some tips and trix.

- Should I first render the ship in Maya and export the camera to Nuke? (Or camera from Nuke?)
- Do the planet need to be in Maya, or is that just a sphere in Nuke?
- Do I need the sky/space-dome in Maya or Nuke?
- How do you light space?
- I think a want a setting sun behind the planet, so I guess I need a bright light at that point in maya.

If you got any pointers, please tell me!

Thank you!
/C

Old 12 December 2012   #2
I would render everything out in layers to EXR's and then combine them in Nuke. So you could have the spaceship and planet on separate layers, and sky and the light behind the planet on the same layer (maybe).

Then I'd put all the layers on cards in Nuke (makes it easier to move things if you want to) and apply all the post-processing effects (glow, lens flare etc).

- Jesus

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Hi JamesNZ,

Thank you!

Why would you prefer to render out the bakground (space texture on a sphere/dome) and the planet in Maya. Would it not be better to create this as 3D objekts in Nuke?

Old 12 December 2012   #4
You could probably do it successfully either way, it's just that I'd prefer to have the ultimate control over my planet, particularly for shading/texturing/UV mapping. Though I suppose that depends on how close you'll see the planet

- Jesus

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Ok, thank you for the input.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread