Dual screen layouts

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Dual screen layouts

Should be a dead quick one this I'm hoping. Does anyone know, with two screens, is it best to have one big window that stretches the full width, or two group windows, one for each monitor? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks! C

Old 09 September 2012   #2
I guess it comes down to your workflow, for me I keep the main part of the interface (viewport/OM/AM) on one monitor and the timeline or picture viewer on the 2nd depending on what I'm doing.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 09 September 2012   #3
I go 2 groups, it's a lot easier to manage them then, you can close, resize it etc without affecting the other screen.

cheers
brasc

Old 09 September 2012   #4
2 groups, much much more flexible and easy to manage

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by brasco: I go 2 groups, it's a lot easier to manage them then, you can close, resize it etc without affecting the other screen.

Yup, makes sense. I've been using two until now, but I keep on pressing Cmd-W to close the document, only to find that it closes the window of the second monitor instead, because that's where the mouse was over, so I have to reset the layout, and re-open any menus I've torn off in the meantime. Not a massive drag but annoying.

Stretching out one big window over the two screens solved this, but it seemed like this might be a burden on the graphics card, especially when the 3D viewport gets split, so I guess I'll just have to live with that (no way to remap Cmd-W that I can see).

Thanks all - C

Old 09 September 2012   #6
I have the main screen on one monitor and the viewports on second monitor

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: but I keep on pressing Cmd-W to close the document, only to find that it closes the window of the second monitor instead, ...

I just remove Command-W from the Command manager so I do not keep accidentally closing windows.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Yup, makes seee. I've been using two until now, but I keep on pressing Cmd-W to close the document, only to find that it closes the window of the second monitor instead, because that's where the mouse was over, so I have to reset the layout, and re-open any menus I've torn off in the meantime. Not a massive drag but annoying.

Actually, it's possible. The item bound to Cmd-W is actually a script that runs through the close operations.

Go to your Command Manager and type in Close in the Name Filter. You'll find that there's several variants, some meant to close just the active window or just the document.
1. Close[Closes the current selected Manager][Shift+w]
2. Close[Active project will be closed][Ctrl+F4]
You can just go and rebind Cmd-W to one of those, whichever you need.

edit:
a minute late, ehehe.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
The dreaded close window problem. I put the "close" command as a button over my object manager and programmed my brain to use that instead. I still shut down the viewport now and again though. I think making one big window will definitely tax the hardware more than having no overlapping windows on screens. I know this used to be an issue at least, but maybe the cards have so much memory now it doesn't bother them?

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Originally Posted by rustEdge: Actually, it's possible. The item bound to Cmd-W is actually a script that runs through the close operations...

Thanks for the replies people... but this is very odd. I can't seem to override the CMD-W command, which looks like it's hard-wired into the app at a system level. I've gone into the Command manager and stripped it out of the close document/window command, but pressing CMD-W still closes whatever window the mouse is over.

I've been trying to re-assign it to another action, any will do, but every time I type CMD-W to assign it to a new command, it closes the Command manager window

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread