Remote Work?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Remote Work?!

Hey everyone, i´m wondering and trying to find out, what in all of cg is the discipline that you can get remote work easily?  i see a lot of modelers and animators working remotely, are these two the best for someone that needs to work remotely? I know you need a few years of experience to freelance and all, but i was just curious about that.

2 Weeks Ago
I guess it happens but i would say its pretty dysfunctional to scatter a project's 'pipeline' across an array of remote artists.
Keeping a project's assets in sync with each other is a logistical nightmare.

And the project cannot have any serious security concerns (like a high-profile film or game).
Most of that kind of work may be contract based -but done on-sight in the studio itself. Nothing leaves the studio.

So if there are remote asset tasks being distributed around the world I cannot say there is a lot of work in any one discipline.
Historically remote work often makes sense for 3d generalists. They can finish an entire project themselves and give it back to the client
as a finished project. So its easier to find remote work of this type methinks.

2 Weeks Ago
Thats not so true like in the past... There are new decentralized studios comming up... They use special software two make that happen... The Foundys Athere for example... I know some game studios without a real office they use perforce to manage the data via the cloud... There is a lot goin on in that direction... 

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/fo...a-game-changer/

2 Weeks Ago
Still a 'watch-this-space' kinda thing. Has ramifications for the near future I agree.

But until the big security conscious film studios give the all clear its hard to say how this will do.
I've been part of VFX studios that had to tighten up security to extreme levels to appease their client and get the job clearance.
Its alright to 'say' the cloud handles security. But the clients give the final thumbs up.
 The article even suggests that its not really a 'VFX thing' yet.

1 Week Ago
modeling seems to be the most popular remote work I see. Although, I see stuff for animation and compositing as well. However, it's usually on a smaller scaled productions and companies that purposely keep a fluid office (majority remote) to keep overhead costs down. Larger companies make more money by getting "butts in seats", especially if the owners are involved in the real estate aspect of the building. I've worked for plenty of company owners that also make money renting the land and/or building back to the company. It's the old McDonald's system.

Anyway, you have to find those employer and individuals that thrive on the remote environment. Sometimes it takes a tight relationship as well, because it's quite a bit of trust being placed and communication is more difficult, not impossible, but nothing replaces face to face communications.

1 Week Ago
I have worked on multiple freelance projects, onsite and offsite and also hiring people for offsite work.  What happens is the project gets broken down into packages and then distributed.  Even most feature films are done like this,  with shots being partitioned out to multiple studios(which may then be subcontracted to additional studios which eventally leads to remote work for single artists).

In short, EVERYTHING can be done remote, and often is.  What is required is an additional layer of management and tracking system of all assets.  This doesnt concern a single remote artist of course, but will affect how the project is being managed,  ie:  feedback loops, communication with director,  integration of assets into pipeline, and bug fixing.  There are software tools in place to help with this, and studios have been working like this for quite some time now.  Studios will do as much as possible onsite obviously, so  they will prefer flexible people.

As a single artist,  you will need to network to find studios which use a lot of offsite people.  A good tip is to focus on studios that have a quick turn around rate and will hire en-masse.   What happens is they hire onsite for the duration of the project,  and then everyone leaves.  I would suggest working onsite,  and network with fellow team members that have most probably worked at several other studios.  After a couple of projects like this, your network should be established,  and studios trust you enough to let you work offsite.

1 Week Ago
Companies definitely hire offsite contractors all the time.
it's very very common.

But I wouldn't glamorize it too much.
i've freelanced a lot. and I know freelancers that are far superior than i.
and what I know is this.
If you're not cream of the crop.  Like a "kobe bryant" of your field.  then work will be intermittent.

you'll have work some months,  other months you'll have none, and other months you'll have WAY too much work.
I know on "paper" it sounds like a great idea because you can work from home and make your own hours and have independence.
But the stress of being your own boss can and will outweigh those benefits.

6 Days Ago
the cool thing about working remotely is you only have to work 1/2 days..............

You just have to pick which 1/2 (of a 24 hour day) you want to work 

reply share thread