Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
saltwatertaffy

portfolio
Sweden

Cool Seeking a Blender Mentor/Tutor!

Hello!

I have consumed hours of free blender tutorials and they've been a great help however I keep running into problems I can't troubleshoot on my own. I would like it if anyone may be interested in tutoring me or mentoring me along the process. I will admit I'm a total beginner and without assistance I am totally lost and overwhelmed with the software. But I am determined to learn and eager to get started! If anyone is interested please post here, PM me, or add me on Skype!

I know many of you may be very overwhelmed with your own projects but if you have some free time or can sympathize with a poor noob like myself any help would be greatly appreciated!! <3

Last edited by saltwatertaffy : 04-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
BlackStormy

portfolio
Abraham Brookes
Cairns, AU

Nothing quite like google academy. Every problem you have has been tackled before. Good luck finding a mentor, I doubt anyone would really have the spare time. Get on blendercookie.com and do some tutorials, ask in forums like this one for your specific problems (that way people who have the same problems can search for them in the future) and maybe even get on the blender IRC - there's a link to it somewhere on blender.org. Also the most invaluable resources you can have is blendernewbies.com, blendernation.com, blenderartists.com and plenty of practice!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
saltwatertaffy

portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStormy
Nothing quite like google academy. Every problem you have has been tackled before. Good luck finding a mentor, I doubt anyone would really have the spare time. Get on blendercookie.com and do some tutorials, ask in forums like this one for your specific problems (that way people who have the same problems can search for them in the future) and maybe even get on the blender IRC - there's a link to it somewhere on blender.org. Also the most invaluable resources you can have is blendernewbies.com, blendernation.com, blenderartists.com and plenty of practice!

Lol ya XD I have scoured the furthest depths of google and what I've gathered has been very helpful, however I still can't seem to model anything of actual substance. I seem to still be at the "Oh look! I made a malformed cube! yaaay! phase" whenever I try to make something of an actual object, be it a simple house, table, chair, bunny, banana, it gets all kinds of wonked up.

I'm trying to save up for a workshop or class, like the Blender bootcamp course they hold in Amsterdam but money is tight so I might have to catch that one next year.

This is what I've managed to make so far, keep in mind the first example (done in Maya) was made totally wrong. I had no clue how to subdivide the specific area I wanted as to extrude the bits for the door so to achieve it for JUST the area I wanted to fiddle with I ended up having to subdivide EVERYTHING...causing far too many polys for something so horribly simple.

HOUSE: http://i45.tinypic.com/2dkbqki.png

And the second example I did in Sculptris was pretty impressed with that one, being totally clueless to every 3D modelling and sculpting program out there but it gave me confidence that MAYBE some of the hours of material I've consumed from the internet was finally sinking in. Attempted to make something similar to the second model in Blender and...oh god...it was horrific, to say the least. =X

CAT: http://i47.tinypic.com/6rhwev.png

Keep in mind this in no way discourages me, it may take several years before enough of it sinks in to where I can make a low poly sofa, but man I can't wait till the moment it all just clicks and becomes second nature to me. I do envy all those who can wiz through the program with ease or have enough money to afford fancy schools like Gnomon, CalArts, etc.

Trying to teach myself on my own when I don't even understand the vast majority of the material to begin with is puzzling to say the least XD but what I do understand is that no 3D program is going to be like MS Paint. I DO get that! The steep learning curve all these programs have is damn treacherous ;A; I envy all those who have survived it and can produce beautiful things. You guys are awesome.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
BlackStormy

portfolio
Abraham Brookes
Cairns, AU

I remember those days. Classes are definitely a fast track to greatness, but if you want to take your time and learn for free, find and do every single tutorial you can. And actually do them. My biggest mistake is that I glossed over them and tried to extract what I wanted and never really learned because I never actually did them. Took me a long time to get anywhere.

I never did any schooling, and I don't really regret it because I think at those early stages you won't benefit as much from a paid course as you would if you took a few months to get your head around the medium first.

I always wanted to make models for games so my learning curve might be different from yours, but here's what I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to learn, in this order:
  • Mesh creation and vert manipulation
  • Modifiers
  • Materials
  • Rendering
  • UV unwrapping
  • Topology theory
  • Highpoly and lowpoly modelling
  • Loops and poles theory
Just practice man, if you make a simple model every night (make things from your desk, kitchen, neighbourhood etc) you'll be flying in a month. There are no rules for anything at this stage so don't worry about if you're 'doing it right' until you have a better grip on the tools.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
n3al
Veteran

portfolio
Neal Albert Strydom
Digital Designer & Social Media Administrator
College SA
Kraaifontein, South Africa

I would recommend that you look at blendercookie, they have aweosme tutorials for far less than a full on class and also look at blendernation, blenderguru, lynda.com and then also go through whatever else you can find.

I was fortunate that I could get a study loan from the bank to go study at a college for a year and learn to use Maya as well as Adobe After Effects, but now I'm trying to learn Blender as well, since I can't afford to purchase Maya or After Effects. It's a really huge learning curve for me to switch over from Maya to Blender, but yeah, I've found some good resources on the above mentioned websites.

Neal

Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
harleynut97
portfolio
USA

We've all been right where your at .... the last thing I would do when first learning Blender is attempting character modeling or really anything organic. I would suggest trying some simple objects laying around your house... a stapler, a thumbdrive, stuff like that to get used to the basic tools.

Blender cookie, blenderGuru all have excellent tutorials, but they are somewhat indepth. I discovered this youtube based site awhile ago. There are tons of short (most 5-10 min max) that can help you along. Here is a link to his playlist with lots of tutorials for beginners

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMYtDzby1wdabgVKnq8RSyrTZJbvs13N9

Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Always go back to reference.

Use photographs and blueprints, and don't stop until it looks like a good enough match.
Whether it's a stapler, a fighter jet, or a smurf - it's the same rule.

Always check your References.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

As others have said, reference and breakdown.
I very much still consider myself a learner at 3D, though I've been toying with it for years, I've never reached any lofty heights.

I'd say, start with something like a coffee table, one at first with square legs, then one with rounded. Look at the object, but *really* look at it, not as a whole, but as what it is, a collection of parts. The top, a square, with a rounded edge. the sides, same again, but the edge is only a "micro-bevel", same then for the legs and cross members, all similar but different thicknesses. Now substitute rounded legs, think about it's shape, is it critical that the leg be one mesh, or can you fake it with adding a torus to a cylinder, slice the cylinder to give sections you can scale just htat bit, subdivide and you have a nice smooth curve.

There are many great free tutorials out there for Blender, I must have about 3 or more DVDs worth on my HD. Also, don't be afraid to look at tutorials for other packages, if you know who to choose which tool to use, many can be applied to pretty much any 3D package.

Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

A simple project-based approch would be good. Get a tut that takes you through the steps of creating an object.

Ideas and concepts are useless, as are images and references if you don't know what to do with it.

We have all been there. It takes a long time to click.

The fastest track is to take a tutorial that teaches you how to make an object or series of them from reference images, step by step without you having to fill in the blanks on your own.

Just keep doing the kind of tutorials that walk you through it step by step until it clicks.

Modeling by itself is a craft. And needs to be treated like a craft. Respect and learn it as a craft. Don't just think it comes natural. It won't. Trust me.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread