Silo 2.4 Beta!!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  08 August 2017
Hi everyone.

This is Presque from the old Silo forums (nearly-silent team member back when those were live, so I won't be too shocked if you don't remember me). I'm just posting from our "official" group Nevercenter login here at CGTalk because this should probably be an official Nevercenter post. Feed & Jamchild are working on dev stuff, so I am working on posting. Division of labor and all that.

We wanted to let you know that a new beta is now live (Beta E, not officially newsletter-announced yet--surprise!). You can snag it most easily from http://nevercenter.com/silo/release_notes (dl links at the top of that page)

Of note to discussion here, the alt+scroll (alt+anything) hotkey should be fixed with this beta, plus a bunch of other things we've been updating. We really appreciate the feedback we've gotten so far and are working to squash the bugs we've had reported. It sounds like the FBX error reported above was a one-off and this is, in fact, working for everyone now? Thanks, everyone, for being part of the community that helped (and are still helping!) make Silo what it is.



@Cinnsealach yes, we are now reading this thread for bug notes! You can also send reports into silo@nevercenter.com -- we had a major email service meltdown earlier this year but the system's all been moved, redone, and functional again. Can you confirm if the viewport going blank is still happening on this latest beta E? (Also at everyone: anyone else experiencing this issue?)
 
  08 August 2017
Thank you so very much for voicing updates on this forum. It has knowingly been a very long time since we have seen any activity from Nevercenter it has spawned many a rant and fueled just as many debates. To say you are a welcome sight here is a vast understatement. It's still difficult to believe that Silo is finally getting official attention.

I simply must ask what spawned this new flurry of activity? Whatever it is I want to help to promote further activity in the future!
__________________
I knew that, I was just testing you.
 
  08 August 2017
Originally Posted by Nevercenter: Hi everyone.

@Cinnsealach yes, we are now reading this thread for bug notes! You can also send reports into silo@nevercenter.com -- we had a major email service meltdown earlier this year but the system's all been moved, redone, and functional again. Can you confirm if the viewport going blank is still happening on this latest beta E? (Also at everyone: anyone else experiencing this issue?)
Greetings :]

The viewport does not go blank in this release.
__________________
Some basic silo tutorials
 
  08 August 2017

@NeverCenter

Can you remove popups windows or add tickbar in the Pref to on/off them ? It's annoying. Better add small text feedback in the corner but NO POPUPS.
Don't make Internet browser out of Silo. The proper place to display error messages in at the bottom stripe, left corner.
Popups are not needed, they slow down workflow and are annoying, its very easy to trigger them accidentally while fast modelling on tablet.



Last edited by RRRambo : 08 August 2017 at 02:38 PM.
 
  08 August 2017
Originally Posted by RRRambo:
@NeverCenter

Can you remove popups windows or add tickbar in the Pref to on/off them ? It's annoying. Better add small text feedback in the corner but NO POPUPS.
Don't make Internet browser out of Silo. The proper place to display error messages in at the bottom stripe, left corner.
Popups are not needed, they slow down workflow and are annoying, its very easy to trigger them accidentally while fast modelling on tablet.




Yes, I was going to mention that. It's a little distracting.
__________________
Some basic silo tutorials
 
  08 August 2017
Hi guys,anyone else having problems with interface scale issues? Text and menus are tiny.
On windows 10 surface pro 4. hope someone can help.
cheers Ian

ok found a solution,right-click on silo icon,properties,Compatibility and turn on override high DPI scaling then select
System from the drop down. Apply.
Cheers

Last edited by Kuran2704 : 08 August 2017 at 10:13 PM.
 
  08 August 2017
I quite like the little interface improvements and am very happy to see Nevercenter giving the app some bug fixes.
One little bug I see on Mac sierra 10.12.6 is in the file formats box.
In version 2.31, you would get a checkmark when you clicked on an option.
In 2.5 you get a white box or grey box.
If it's grey, it looks like the option is off.
For example, if you click export subdivision for Fact and the box is grey, the subdivision would not be exported.
 
  08 August 2017
Hello everyone
As a user who has used silo for a long time, it is nice to update the silo again.
But there is one thing that is always missing. There is always one problem for Asian users.
The silo does not support Asian fonts that are not English.
Folders and files in English have no problem loading. However, if the folder or file name is in Asian characters, it can not be loaded.
I have provided feedback on this part in the past. At that time the silo developer told me to fix this, but then the update stopped.
If development continues, I would really appreciate it if you have included this part in the next update.
Thank you.
 
  08 August 2017
Originally Posted by nik75: I quite like the little interface improvements and am very happy to see Nevercenter giving the app some bug fixes.
One little bug I see on Mac sierra 10.12.6 is in the file formats box.
In version 2.31, you would get a checkmark when you clicked on an option.
In 2.5 you get a white box or grey box.
If it's grey, it looks like the option is off.
For example, if you click export subdivision for Fact and the box is grey, the subdivision would not be exported.

Checkboxes like better and are more clear than this new light/grey on/off switches. They should roll back as it was in 2.3 - if it ain't broken don't fix it.
 
  08 August 2017
Originally Posted by matsbt: Any plans for a Linux version of 2.4?

Regards,
Mats


I think Linux support has been dropped going by what it says on the 2.5 steam release notes.
__________________
Some basic silo tutorials
 
  08 August 2017
(still Presque here posting as Nevercenter--I really need to create my own CGTalk login soon.)

@RRRambo and @Cinnsealach and others--thanks for the note re:the popups. We hear you and we will look into adding this as a preference.

@nik75 that's a good suggestion. I will make sure Feed and Jamchild get the notes re:clarity.

Also @decimate36 we do want to make better compatibility with non-English languages for sure--I'm going to go see if I can locate your email from the past and hopefully we can get that ball rolling again.
 
  08 August 2017
After using 2.5 for some time I see no improvements in stability, it crashes as often as 2.3,mostly when doing undo and I'm not even doing anything fancy, just very basic modelling.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.