Edwin Model Critique

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Edwin Model Critique

Hey everyone!

A buddy of mine told me to post here to get the best critique for my model design. The goal is to produce an appealing model, rig it, and put it online for free use. I'm an aspiring rigger, and trying to work on my modeling/deformation skills. I'd love to hear feedback to help push the design along to make a more appealing character for animators. Thanks in advance!

Josh

04 April 2013
Hello,
If you are planning to animate this character, you must change face topology. Loops are important. Here is the link for face topology
http://skif3d-eng.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/topology.html

Doesn't mean you have to copy it %100 but you'll get the main idea.

Good luck

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Sputnik1: Hello,
If you are planning to animate this character, you must change face topology. Loops are important. Here is the link for face topology
http://skif3d-eng.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/topology.html

Doesn't mean you have to copy it %100 but you'll get the main idea.

Good luck

Nice model, great crit.

05 May 2013
This is not a direct critique, but a comment/suggestion for inspiration for making a versatile rig that you want many people to be able to use for different purposes: consider if and how you may want to make the glasses deform or move separately from the rest of his body. I.e. if you want his head to be able to squash and stretch, or twist, or something else very cartoony, maybe his glasses should not deform, or at least not deform as much--deformation of a hard-surface inanimate object may look weird and jarring compared to deformation of an animate organic object. On the other hand you probably don't want the glasses to become separated from his head. Other examples--if you want his eyes to be able to bug out of his head, will his glasses have to slide forward on his nose in order to make room for his eyes? If his eyes open really wide, should the animator have an option for his glasses to scale up to accompany the effect?

I agree with the above comment about making sure the facial topology has the correct edgeloops.

One other minor comment--the perfectly horizontal and vertical straight lines of his shirt sleeves, shirt bottom, and pants cuffs are unrealistic and not very stylistically appealing. Sure, shirts are machine-sewed to have perfectly cylindrical parts cut off at 90 degrees, but usually gravity will pull the front, back, or one of the sides down farther. A little bit of asymmetry goes a long way toward interesting visuals (although it may make rigging harder!) This asymmetry is not at all necessary for a functional rig, but you said you wanted to push the design to make a more appealing character. However, animators using your character for practice purposes or animation demo reels may not care how appealing the character model is if that's not what they're trying to show off.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread