advice needed UK Student with Foundation degree in character animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2011
Red face advice needed UK Student with Foundation degree in character animation

Hi all,

this is my first post here ( hopefully of many) and im a student 20 years old in the UK.

im currently nearly upon completion of my 2 year course which will give me a foundation degree in character animation, this has been taught at the Manchester college and its fair for me to say, the teaching really wasnt as good as i thought it would be, the main reason im actually on route to pass is the sheer time and effort iv'e had to put in out of school doing online tutorials etc learning many basic skills which i havent been able to learn at college.

Now i would love to go into character modelling or design and at this stage i know for a fact that im no way near up to standard as many other people my age would be. One of the problems iv'e faced is i realised only last year that i have a severe case of dyslexia which Has many benefits with art and visual subjects alike it has made things hard for me in organisational skills, essay writing and communicating. But i know to be a professional artist, you must have a clear balance in thought and focus in your area of study.

However, i firmly believe Art of all forms at a high level cannot be taught, more like nurtured from within, meaning time, drawing, researching, stillness and concentration of focus, this however will not get me anything if i dont have a good foundation set of skills.

Now i would love to apply somewhere in the UK And do a BA honours in something but again im unsure. I Have no family or friends in the 3d sector of work to guide or give me advice, iv'e literally been on my own these past 2 years in regards to learning about 3d and digital graphics/art.

What would be my best options?

look for a top-updegree somewhere with more competant teachers ( but that would be a risk as i may have to move all my equipment to the other end of the country and start my 3rd year in a new environment ( which im not cancelling out )

take a year out, try and get work somewhere doing a random job which can pay the rent and work on my personal portfolio which iv'e been told is the most important aspect of applying for a job in a 3d animation studio?

i would say a 3rd option would be to try and get work as a jnr in a studio but im trying to be realistic and not deluded and dont believe i have the skills or portfolio YET to be accepted anywhere.

thoughts and comments would be very much appreciated.

thanks a lot

05 May 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread