CGTalk > Techniques > Animation
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Hamburg, Germany
Customizable 3D Character

Hello community,

does anyone of you know how I must model and rig my 3D character, so that I can switch his arm parts for example, but keep the animation of it ?

We tried to exchange only the mesh of the torso model, but this resulted in strange behaviour of the vertices.

see link
[ ]

You see the vertex points move incorrect in the animation. I think the problem is the weight map.

If anyone knows a tutorial or a how-to guide for the problem a link to it would be appreciated.

The programs I use: Maya, ZBrush, Unity 3D

Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Boba Subin
Imagination studios
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi vanHellwig,

If I understood correctly you want to change shape of some body parts, but you want it over animated parts... I have an idea that can help you, but only in case to use same topology on another shapes for other variations. I suppose it could work fine. Try it with blend shapes... Use default shape, duplicate it then reshape it as you need and create new mesh as blendshape targeted on default mesh and later if you want to switch it just pull blendshape's slider. It should work fine + it's infinity process as many blend shapes as different shapes you need. I hope it could help you.

character modeler and animator
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread