[Noob Question] 1 Object and multiple Materials.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Talking [Noob Question] 1 Object and multiple Materials.

Hi,

I have downloaded a model from here
http://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=52a9b09d

Now I am trying to put material on it, what I see is only 2 objects, How can I apply material on keyboard and notebook body?

Thanks in Advance.

12 December 2013
you need to hit F1 when in max

and look up the Multi/sub-object material, iirc you can also just create a standard material or w/e you want and select faces and apply the material to the faces.

but better to learn how the multi/sub-object works

12 December 2013
You could also search youtube for tutorials about multi/subject material. Autodesk has a channel for 3ds Max tutorials.

12 December 2013
I have found a way to add multiple texture on one object,

Convert to poly
select portion by face,
apply vRay material without uvw map.

But view port will be too heavey then that I will not be able to move things around, and it will take 30 minutes to open. which is serious problem for me.

System Config
Lenovo Z570
Core i5 (2nd Gen) 2410m
4GB Ram
1GB NVidia Geforce GT520M

12 December 2013
that's fairly low end equipment tbh,

you can try to change the driver that max uses in the customize > Preferences > Viewports tab

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by LegatoBluesummers: you need to hit F1 when in max

and look up the Multi/sub-object material, iirc you can also just create a standard material or w/e you want and select faces and apply the material to the faces.

but better to learn how the multi/sub-object works

Dragging standard materials onto poly selections is really only building a multi-sub for you automatically, so you still need to know what they are and how to use them. Things can get very unwieldy if you don't keep track of the number of material ids. You can end up with duplicates and even worse, nested multi-subs.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by robinb: Dragging standard materials onto poly selections is really only building a multi-sub for you automatically, so you still need to know what they are and how to use them. Things can get very unwieldy if you don't keep track of the number of material ids. You can end up with duplicates and even worse, nested multi-subs.

lol that's exactly what happens to me, im not very organized with my materials and it can be problems

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread