Updated Rendering UI for Maya with Native IBL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Bitter: You can find them in the documentation: http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/...ental-ray-help/

Manual > Scene Description Language > Scene Entities/Options > Image-Based Lighting

It lists all of them. We use:

Environment Lighting Mode: Automatic
Environment Lighting Quality
Environment Lighting Shadow
Environment Lighting Scale
Environment Lighting Resolution
Environment Lighting Cache
Environment Lighting Shader Samples

On another thread, there was mention of a UI feature that was implemented to allow a "force" setting in Final Gather basically bypassing the interpolation method.

But again busted in 2013.5 for that UI.

Is there a string option for this?

EDIT OK. Found it under Final Gather.

So as question then. If these features are not in the Maya interface does this mean they are not fully supported and may cause issues? I mean is it "use at your own risk" kind of thing?

Last edited by cineartist : 04 April 2013 at 03:07 AM.

04 April 2013
Yes and no. They are not supported by Autodesk (yet) but we have been using the Environment Light and Unified Sampling in production for some time now without problems.

04 April 2013
Thanks, this is great.
It looks like the sec diff bounce is not working with the IBL? Whatever i change in the settings (and also the fg tracing) it does not effect my render.

04 April 2013
Dome lights in rendering packages are primary diffuse lighting only. If your scene is well lit in this way, indirect lighting will be much more subtle because the majority of the energy is taken care of by the IBL

04 April 2013
Tnx David. Your Mental Ray work is a lot of help for our projects.

04 April 2013
Send a check to me at...

Look at your indirect light framebuffer (pass) It will show you how much light you're collecting for indirect lighting.

04 April 2013
Work continues on the external project.

The community UI is newly updated for Maya 2014.

New features will begin to make their way to the UI as time allows. For now some new features include the lens efficiency (shutter shape) for use with motion blur.

Take a look here.

Last edited by Bitter : 04 April 2013 at 05:19 AM.

04 April 2013
Great!

Thanks for the update!

08 August 2013
Hello,

nice work, thanks a lot!

I only just realised I don't get shadows from the IBL's direct lighting (i.e. when FinalGather's turned off) when using the UseBackground shader.
Is that correct?

Would the mip_matteshadow be a solution?
Although I have problems with this one, too.
Started a thread concerning this:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=87&t=1121511

Cheers,
phleX

08 August 2013
now after some experimenting I experienced the following:

UseBackground unfortunately doesn't catch the shadows cast by the Native IBL's direct lighting but oddly it DOES catch the shadows cast by Final Gather, although it's said that Final Gather in conjunction with the Native IBL doesn't work as a primary light source but only for bounces.

I might not use the mip_matteshadow properly but although it does catch shadows cast by Maya lights in my setup, it doesn't catch any shadows cast by the Native IBL, neither direct nor through Final Gather.

It's likely and I do hope that I'm just missing something and that there's a viable workaround to catch the Native IBL's shadows on a transparent background, otherwise this would be a major drawback...

08 August 2013
Does this work with 2014 SP2 for anyone? After replacing the files in mentalrayForMaya2014/scripts I get these errors right after launching Maya:

// Error: file: C:/Program  Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/scripts/others/unifiedRenderGlobalsWindow.mel  line 1459: Object 'tabForm' not found. // 
 addOneTabToGlobalsWindow("mentalRay", "Passes", "createMayaRenderPassTab");
 // Error: file: C:/Program  Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/scripts/others/unifiedRenderGlobalsWindow.mel  line 1459: Object 'tabForm' not found. // 
 addOneTabToGlobalsWindow("mentalRay", "Features", "createMentalRayFeaturesTab");
 addOneTabToGlobalsWindow("mentalRay", "Quality", "createMentalRayQualityTab");
 addOneTabToGlobalsWindow("mentalRay", "Indirect Lighting", "createMentalRayIndirectLightingTab");
 addOneTabToGlobalsWindow("mentalRay", "Options", "createMentalRayOptionsTab");

09 September 2013
Something may have changed in SP2, did you report it on the Google Code page?

09 September 2013
Working fine with 2014 SP2 here. I did have an issue installing it initially (on 2014 vanilla) that was fixed by deleting my render settings presets.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread