Colour Callibration issues - Monitor and Printers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Colour Callibration issues - Monitor and Printers

Hi all

At one site we just got couple of Dell U2412M. Out of the box the colours are a LOT more vibrant and contrasted than our previous consumer Samsung screens. So in general out the box things look pretty nice, although maybe a bit too contrasty.

Anyways we also got a ColorMunki Design to calibrate things. It appears I'm missing something here. I've calibrated the monitors, and the software asked me to lower the physical brightness of the screen to match the readings of the munki etc. It displayed some colours etc and eventually set the profile of the monitors. The new colours looks a bit wack. It could be that I got tuse to using the new screen for a week before the profiling and that's why it looks wack, but I dont think so. Images still looks nice, but I think the default settings looked a lot nicer.

OK on to the printers. I calibrated our main plotter. Things printed doesnt look the same as on screen. So I calibrated another printer, same story.

So my monitor profile is loaded. In photoshop I open an image and proof it to the printer and selected paper. The proof on screen look very GREY and almost blown out in some areas (8 bit image). When I print however, the print looks much nicer than the original jpg on screen. So the print looks both better than the original jpg, as well as the proofed version. Looking better isn't the point. The point of calibrating is to get same (or pretty close) prints as what you see on screen.

Now during proof and also when printing, I ticked and unticked all the setting but still no joy. Match paper colour, compensate black point etc. No Joy!

I know that the printer can't reproduce same colours as the monitor. That's what the proofing mode is for in Photoshop. But the proof looks nowhere near the actual print (on both printers)

I followed Jeff Mottle's Colour Management tut and I'm sure I didn't miss a step anywhere.

Before you print, you can proof on screen what It will look like when you print. For this you go into proof mode and just select your relevant colour profile for the paper and printer. I select the one that the Munki gave me after calibrating the printer.

In Jeff's example they got a pretty good match. In my test it's nowhere near.

Any tips?

Follow me now on my social Pages:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | YouTube
Scripts, Tips, Tricks & Tutorials on my Blog

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread