The Chieftain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
The Chieftain

Hi all. I have been doing this character for a long time and I think it is finished but for some reason it was rejected from the gallery which means it needs more work. could you please advice me what I should do to this work to make it better?

It is a semi low poly character (15k polys). I was inspired by celtic and viking type characters. I will provide wires and turntabel a bit later.

09 September 2012
Wait, this is rejected from the gallery? I think there may be some inconsistency, as some of the accepted artworks I have seen recently are of much lower quality (IMO) then what you have now.

Anyway, other than non-photo realistic textures/Shadings, I honestly cannot see whats wrong with what you have.

I could nitpick a few things, like the ram being too much like a cylinder, but they are not really deal-breakers.

Last edited by PKD : 09 September 2012 at 12:11 PM.

09 September 2012
Hi thanks for replay! Yeah I am surprised aswell because some of the gallery works are not that better in quality I think. The only thing I might thinks of is that as you said the arm looks like cylinder and this is due to lowpoly limitations. This is a game model and it was rendered in realtime and it is supposed to be for a game and this is why it has some technical limitations like polycount. (15k polys) but I thought that some gallerys can host lowpoly models.

09 September 2012
I mean the arms have a consistent thickness, when I mean cylinder. It should be much thinner where it join the hand, & thicker where it joins the elbow.

Now that I look at it again, its a rather loose cloth, so the rule may not applied in this sense.

There is an obvious black spot between the hand & sleeve, should be quick to fix. maybe use a SSS for the skin, & have light source(s) that bring clear light & shadow areas. Its a bit flat in terms of lighting/contracts at the moment if you ask me.

Lighting can make a big difference in the final rendering of a character.

Do not be discouraged. Maybe try what I suggest ( & from others that is yet to post), post it here & we can have a look again.

09 September 2012
Thaks for comments. I see what you mean and I will try to fix these small issues with the hand an sleeve but the main thing is that it is a low poly game character and this is why there is no fancy shaders applied. This is not a render but a real time snapshot from marmoset toolbag engine. This character is for a game cinematic trailer, somethign like assassin's creed game.

Here is one example of what I was aiming for

The arm is fine, it is just the huge sleeve. HEre you can see the highpoly version of the arm adn sleeve:

Last edited by ahtiandr : 09 September 2012 at 02:26 PM.

09 September 2012
Thats one of the big discussion here at CGtalk. The 3D gallery is pretty much for pretty pictures.

They don't really care if you render it with a game engine ( & its limitation), or use all the fancy shaders & software renderer.

A lot of very high quality images got rejected as well due to being branded 'boring', like if you make a typical room, or some beer bottles...unless its a photoreal character.

If you model the most realistic golf ball, you will almost certain to get your work rejected (in my view), as its not so much for the technical level, but a showcase.

Being rejected, may not be an indication that your technical skills or ability is poor. Its just means your work piece is deem not showcase worthy by the judges.

I believe there is a forum call artisans or something, it may be a better place to post & critics there. I personally not a member, but this forom while big, with many members, but really only small % of the members are active.

09 September 2012
Thumbs up

I honestly don't see either why either were not accepted...both are amazing. Keep the work up man.

09 September 2012
Thank you for comments!

Just saw my chieftain character on 3dtotal frontpage ! So I dont mind about this gallery now =) Maybe next time...

http://www.3dtotal.c...07#.UFqxVVGouOQ
Some parts like crown are a bit too highpoly for lowpoly character but it was done due to animation purpose. The crown was used in close up cinematic shot.

also here are some more breakdown images:

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread