Simple UV help in 3ds max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Simple UV help in 3ds max

Hello fellow CG artists.
(using 3ds max 2012)
I am trying to unwrap a character model I have spent the last week or two creating for a game (its somewhat low poly, like around 3k for the body mesh minus the clothes, its the body im unwrapping). I am using a Cylindrical map to unwrap the arms of the mesh. I have been scaling the gizmo in an attempt to get the map "squares" projected onto the mesh to be squares. However, no matter which direction i scale, theres only two boxes going the whole way around the cylinder (the arm.) so my question is, how do i add more of those "boxes"? Anyone get what I am saying? sorry for the terrible terminology but this is actually the first model I have made I actually feel is worth unwrapping, so I've never actually done anything like this before. I DID successfully unwrap the chest (at least I think, it looks right) so im not completely and utterly lost. I apologize if the screenshot does not properly communicate the problem I am experiencing.

PS. im new here. Been messing around with 3ds max for years now (although not seriously) and I decided to start making some more serious things with it. Before it I have 3 or 4 years of experience with GIMP (manipulating, not creating.) I plan on getting a graphics tablet soon and messing around with creating 2d work then. Anyway, ive read posts on this site multiple times in the last several months/years and it just occured to me to sign up. Nice to be here

07 July 2012
You might want to familiarize yourself with other tools to unwrap as well... i found the pelt mapping system quite helpful. This tutorial really helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knuD...8C163D6F8931ACA

Try to get your checker map evenly spaced out by using the relax options and make sure you really think about how you want your seams because fixing them can be a pain.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread