Maya2018 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
Getting a lot of instability with 'use default material' enabled in the viewport.
From weird delays in selecting a locator with geometry parented underneath, to crashes.
Is it just me?

3 Weeks Ago
Yes - VP2 is still very unstable and will lock up quite a bit. Even on opening scenes with textured mode.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by sentry66: Redshift screws over all higher-end renderer feature users who have CPU render farms, same with Octane.

Yeah, I love Redshift quite a bit now. I am a hardcore Vray fanatic who has had to adapt to Arnold because lots of bigger houses love how it's a very low maintenance renderer as far as addressing noise/render features.

They put the younger "lookdev artists" (i.e. cheap labor) on shows and just let them do IPR to tune things.
I personally think Arnold needs a huge update in the AOV/Passes dept. It's far too clicky compared to Vray's very elegant methods.

Regardless, as much as I love Redshift for my home setup I realize that until GFX cards start hitting the 12 to 16 GB range the CPU renderers are still going to have to pull the big trains. I run out of memory quite often with Redshift. Though I only have a 1060 6GB. But I love to run displacement and lots of textures. I am often having to find things to remove or careful placement of cameras else I need to do the render in composited passes.

Ultimately though I think its only a matter of time until GPUs are a majority situation in VFX. Farms of the little quad mounted titan box things are going to take over the spot where 1ru render node servers used to be.

This is why I think Vray and Renderman have started these hybrid render engines. To take full advantage of the resources while the industry hardware figures out of CPU cores are going to ever come down from their expensive market spot. I swear I went from dual core to quad core to 8 core in like 2 and a half years from 2006 to 2008. Now it is still a battle trying to get a decent 16 core setup and very expensive to get a 24 core to 64 core setup. Yet it is nine years later. The whole double in power every couple of years bell curve definitely halted somewhere.

If you would have asked me in 2008 what I would predict I'd have in 2018 I'd say probably a 128 core computer.

Crap, I've derailed the thread. Hmm.. What is not working in 2018?

3 Weeks Ago
I know this is not specifically a Maya2017 issue, but I am so frustrated, so this:
Why the hell is the Maya software renderer still not capable of rendering particle/nParticle instances?
This is a known issue from the very first day of Maya`s existence and never has been worked on.

And now what? Arnold _can_ render those instances, but does not support many of the particles features?

3 Weeks Ago
simple mash grid. add a volume noise or in this case 3d fluid texture with center gradient..

cool effect.

next step...add symmetry.

CRASH

repeatable in multiple scenes

would be cool to inherit color on symmettry too or with nested mash nodes

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by sciLoop: I know this is not specifically a Maya2017 issue, but I am so frustrated, so this:
Why the hell is the Maya software renderer still not capable of rendering particle/nParticle instances?
This is a known issue from the very first day of Maya`s existence and never has been worked on.

And now what? Arnold _can_ render those instances, but does not support many of the particles features?

That is frustrating, but you can't expect any development on the maya software renderer at this point. It's dead. All its technology is from the late-90's.

Yeah It's been interesting seeing Renderman and Mental Ray add GPU acceleration to their CPU-based engine, while Vray has did the opposite and added CPU support to its GPU engine.

At this point, I think the GPU renderers mainly have speed going for them. They don't have bleeding-edge capabilities or shading technology, but they have speed and a bright future.

Last edited by sentry66 : 3 Weeks Ago at 05:41 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
EDIT.. 2017 was problem. Not 2018.

I think I've discovered that humanIK will no longer let you define a custom rig.

I can define a custom skeleton but can not tell it to map the custom controllers of my rig.

The window that usually shows the rig layout shows the human but not the branches of the rig.

It will also end up creating the standard default humanIK rig on top of my current rig using the defined bones/joints.

It will not let me define my own rig.

Edit... yes... I took my character rig into Maya 2016 and I can define the skeleton and then lock it and press custom rig and then the custom rig tab shows up and I can define the controllers myself instead of H-iK giving me the default rig. This allows me to successfully put the mocap on my custom character. I can do it easily in 2016 but I can't in 2017... 2018 is fine. : /

False alarm. 2018 custom HiK rig fine.

Last edited by PerfectLine : 3 Weeks Ago at 07:31 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by PerfectLine: Yeah, I love Redshift quite a bit now. I am a hardcore Vray fanatic who has had to adapt to Arnold because lots of bigger houses love how it's a very low maintenance renderer as far as addressing noise/render features.

To bad maya implementation is left behind. I'm using redshift since alpha before that I was using vray since early beta and I was very happy with redshift and I was recommending it everywhere.
Now I am little disappointed how maya integration is handled.
I feel they spreaded to thin and development clearly slowed down and on top of that some other dcc got developers working strictly on one integration meanwhile core team working is on new tech, bug fixes and maya ( most likely not only maya) integration at the same time and maya is falling more and more behind, We got ability to select lights in Vp2 2 weeks ago! selecting lights, other than that redshift support like 5 procedural maya textures and only 8 colors in ramp node. I know it is hard to make gpu renderer but future looks brighter back then when I started using redshift now I am considering to test threadripper and vray to see how it compares to 3 gpu redshift. It might be slower but at least vray support almost everything and redshift is far far behind

2 Weeks Ago
[table]Toon Rendering In MayaHey there!

so i came across this video (https://vimeo.com/150096095)and i'm really curious as to how the pencil sketchy look was done. I'm working on a small project and looking forward to using
that style. I have tried maya's toon shading but the results i'm getting do no look anything like what i see in the video.
I'm quite new to CGsociety and not sure if i'm posting on the right thread. so forgive me if i'm doing this wrongly. I will also appreciate any advise on that.
Thanks in advance[/table]

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by doskidonah: [table]Toon Rendering In MayaHey there!

so i came across this video (https://vimeo.com/150096095)and i'm really curious as to how the pencil sketchy look was done. I'm working on a small project and looking forward to using
that style. I have tried maya's toon shading but the results i'm getting do no look anything like what i see in the video.
I'm quite new to CGsociety and not sure if i'm posting on the right thread. so forgive me if i'm doing this wrongly. I will also appreciate any advise on that.
Thanks in advance[/table]
This is not a question for the whatWorks/whatNot thread. Please post in another appropriate thread.

1 Week Ago
I have just installed maya 2018 and modelling wise I was expecting a little more stability.
In 2 days of work I had a lot of strange behaviors , like outliner window not resizing, stuck marking menus, malformed geometry.
The most annoying bug is that the grab brush with symmetry on destroys the geometry.

To reproduce the problem:
Create a cube and subdivide it a few times.
Enter the scuplt tools, select the grab brush, activate world or object symmetry on any axis, paint on the mesh.
Faces affected by the stroke disapper.
Undo doesn't get them back.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Thanks!

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by VanDerGoes: I have just installed maya 2018 and modelling wise I was expecting a little more stability.
In 2 days of work I had a lot of strange behaviors , like outliner window not resizing, stuck marking menus, malformed geometry.
The most annoying bug is that the grab brush with symmetry on destroys the geometry.

To reproduce the problem:
Create a cube and subdivide it a few times.
Enter the scuplt tools, select the grab brush, activate world or object symmetry on any axis, paint on the mesh.
Faces affected by the stroke disapper.
Undo doesn't get them back.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Thanks!

try drivers number 382.33; it should work correctly after that.

1 Week Ago
Thank you Onorius, now the sculpt bug is gone and interface seems more stable.

1 Week Ago
Has anybody tried to instance a fluid?
When I do so, the instances do not show up in the viewport, but are rendered with the software renderer and Arnold..

So, anybody with identical experience?

If not: this is a clear 'worksNot' in Maya2018

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by sciLoop: Has anybody tried to instance a fluid?
When I do so, the instances do not show up in the viewport, but are rendered with the software renderer and Arnold..

So, anybody with identical experience?

If not: this is a clear 'worksNot' in Maya2018
working fine here, try the drivers stated upward.

reply share thread