Orthographic or Perspective

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Orthographic or Perspective

Do most 3d character artists in the game industry sculpt in orthographic view or perspective view?

11 November 2013
Ortho for proportions and reference and persp for sculpting. I find a 20 lens setting allows me to get close without seeing too much distortion. I used Silo by the way.

11 November 2013
Personally, I do the bulk of my modeling in perspective view, only occasionally switching to ortographic to check proportions. I think the important thing is that you do switch between the two; how much time you spend on either is largely a matter of preference.

11 November 2013
I tend to work in orthographic, and switch to perspective every now and then to check things out and make sure it's all working. In Max I definitely work in orthographic most of the time. I like being able to zoom in as far as I want without clipping into the model. But both views are useful there as well.

11 November 2013
I use orthographic for laying out the main form of my model and precise adjustments like lining up verts that need to be symmetrical or snapped. Most of the revision and detail is in perspective to keep viewing different angles and how the changes alter the appearance.

11 November 2013
I use a mix of both for the first 80% and then tend to only use perspective for final detailing.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread