Silo 2.3 64-Bit when for Windows?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2014
Originally Posted by RAMWolff: I have a question.

I was using Silo to make make my first SuperSuit for Genesis (DAZ3D). I ran into a bunch of triangulation issues when importing it into ZBrush for adding in morphs from my "Bruno" pack and ZBrush wouldn't load the suit without wanting to "repair" the suit and then my UV's were all gone again. I ended up learning Blender (that was hell) just enough to get the work done and then ZBrush didn't balk any more. So not sure if there is a bug in Silo that creates triangulation in some cases and if so is there a way to make it NOT do that? I sure didn't make triangles, in fact I made sure there were none on export but apparently ZBrush thought differently about that.

I don't have the original files any more that I was having issues with, after I got it all fixed I deleted the "bad" ones.

Thanks Mike for any feedback on that.

Heh, I'm sorry you deleted the bad ones. I'd be very interested in some data, actually, so I can take a look at it. It's possible a merge operation collapsed some quads into tris, or a cut or something generated triangles? It's hard to say, but especially if you ended up with screwy topology we ought to take a look. PM me if you can recreate any of the situation so I can have a look.

11 November 2014
OMG. I still have the files. I put them in a folder called "Older Suit Files" ... so yea, I have them. I zipped up the obj and mtl files so tell me how to proceed.

11 November 2014
PM me and I'll give you instructions on where to send them to Nevercenter so I can pick them up.

11 November 2014
Originally Posted by RAMWolff: So not sure if there is a bug in Silo that creates triangulation in some cases and if so is there a way to make it NOT do that? I sure didn't make triangles, in fact I made sure there were none on export but apparently ZBrush thought differently about that.

I don't have the original files any more that I was having issues with, after I got it all fixed I deleted the "bad" ones.

Thanks Mike for any feedback on that.

Are there ngons in the mesh? I wonder of zbrush is triangulating them.

11 November 2014
Originally Posted by mikefarny: Sorry, the beta wasn't widely announced, I just grabbed a few guinea pigs here to help test and run it through its paces. On the bright side, we're prepping for the 2.3.1 release very soon. (I just uploaded a candidate release for Linux, and am hoping to get the Win 32- and 64-bit candidate builds uploaded tomorrow.)

OS X may lag a bit, as it takes more effort to prod Apple into approving things for the Mac App Store, etc.

Thanks for the info. I need the Windows 64 bit version.

11 November 2014
Silo 2.3.1 x64

Mike, if you'll still take Beta testers. I'd be happy to give 2.3.1 x64 Windows ver. a whirl. Let me know if you still have my email from the previous beta.

Great to have you working on this!

I miss my Zen moments!

11 November 2014
Sorry, totally forgot to reply. I'm a total dork. I have no idea what an ngon is! lol I just Googled them so it's a multi sided polygon. Well I'm pretty sure I didn't have those but Mike's got the mesh so maybe he can elaborate on what I did wrong or what ever. LOL

Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: Are there ngons in the mesh? I wonder of zbrush is triangulating them.

11 November 2014
Here is a video the describes some of the issues of ngons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXS...1RG70w&index=12

Ultimately 3D software likes tris and quads (because they break down into tris easy with little effort or complication).

11 November 2014
Nice link. Added that to my 3D creation fav list. I learned something! YAY!

Thanks!

11 November 2014
Originally Posted by Vangald: Here is a video the describes some of the issues of ngons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXS...1RG70w&index=12

Ultimately 3D software likes tris and quads (because they break down into tris easy with little effort or complication).

Particularly when you're dealing with any sort of subdivision mesh (and by this I mean Catmull-Clark, the others like Loop, Butterfly, and Doo-Sabin are less common) you generally want quads as much as possible. You're going to have a few junctions where you need a triangle, or possibly even a pentagon. But unless they were absolutely necessary, I would slap a modeler with a large troute who did more than pentagon junctions.

Triangles are great for actual rendering, but quads are so close that it often is no performance disadvantage even in rendering to just keep quads around and break them dynamically into two triangles whenever needed. When subdividing a mesh with CC subdivision, everything becomes quads during the first subdivision step, so it's natural to just expect quads to become the main unit for most modeling and rendering operations.

In sum, triangles:
  • Easy to render, easy to shade across (barycentric coordinates, yay!)
  • Break down into three quads during CC subdivision
  • Cause "non-regular" patches during CC subdivision, so are preferable to avoid

quads:
  • Perfect for modeling due to being the natural CC subdivision unit
  • Break down into two triangles for rendering/shading purposes very easily
  • Generate "regular" patches during CC subdivision

pentagons:
  • Break down into five quads during CC subdivision (under normal rules, see note below about Silo)
  • Start to create odd/rippling surfaces during CC subdivision (under normal rules, see note below about Silo)
  • Tessellation into triangles is more difficult; have to account for convexivity and other issues
  • Generate "non-regular" patches during CC subdivision
  • Should be avoided if at all possible. If you have to use an odd junction, try to make it a triangle.

beyond:
  • Same problems as pentagons, but just getting worse
  • They suck, avoid them.

Silo actually has a neat trick to avoid the problems with pentagons and onward in CC subdivision; during the first step of subdivision it turns polygons with 5+ sides into triangles rather than quads (as in normal CC subdivision rules), and then after that it begins subdividing the triangles into quads. It actually manages to have some nice behavior around the high-vertex polygons because of that, but that also means it doesn't strictly match other packages when they deal with 5+ sided polygons.

reply share thread