Programs Vs. College.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Programs Vs. College.

Hi, I'm new to these forums, so excuse me if I've awkwardly put this in the wrong place, or have a bad understanding of how VFX careers work.
So I'm a 19 year old who has graduated high school, and moved to Florida. I'm interested in going to school for a VFX/Animation Career, and haven't the faintest clue where to start.
I found a school called Dave School in Orland, FL. It seems to specialize in exactly what I want to do, but it brought up a question. This isn't a college. So I was wondering, when it comes to VFX careers, would I be better off going to a school like this, or would college be better? If college is better, how much better is that option? If I go to Dave School, could I make it in the VFX industry? Thank you to any repliers, help is much appreciated.

07 July 2014
Honestly many people will tell you that a degree doesn't matter in getting a job, and that is mostly true. I think that it is always a bonus to have a college degree, as it may help you when being compared to someone of similar skill, as a degree is something that takes a lot of effort to earn.

I would look at a school like SCAD or Ringling if that is what you are interested in. I go to ETSU for Digital Media, and the school is no SCAD or Ringling, but for 8K a year, you can pump out equally good work if you put in the effort.

07 July 2014
Winchester from what I have seen and heard the Dave school is a good bet. I think it is probably cheaper than a lot of schools out there(I do not work for them). You should look into and like stated they mostly look at the demoreel and not degrees unless you need a visa to work overseas.

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by wilson22: Honestly many people will tell you that a degree doesn't matter in getting a job, and that is mostly true. I think that it is always a bonus to have a college degree, as it may help you when being compared to someone of similar skill, as a degree is something that takes a lot of effort to earn.

I would look at a school like SCAD or Ringling if that is what you are interested in. I go to ETSU for Digital Media, and the school is no SCAD or Ringling, but for 8K a year, you can pump out equally good work if you put in the effort.

Originally Posted by dpendleton: Winchester from what I have seen and heard the Dave school is a good bet. I think it is probably cheaper than a lot of schools out there(I do not work for them). You should look into and like stated they mostly look at the demoreel and not degrees unless you need a visa to work overseas.

Thank you for your replies. I'll factor these in when decided. Very much appreciated.

07 July 2014
Honestly, and this is my own personal opinion, is if you have nice drive you can make it without schooling. Many have. Buuuuut, on the flip side, many do seem to flourish better in a school environment (and it can be a life saver having that BS later if this doesn't work out). Where I taught for 13 years (IUPUI), nobody probably ever even heard of us when it concerns CG, but I now have former students working at Pixar, and many in Hollywood. What that means is you can pretty much do it at any CG school with at least pretty good to good instructors (modelors, texture painters [which is where most of our students accrued positions actually], lighters, compositors, etc.). That excludes character animation however. Animation is a bear and needs constant critiquing, updating, etc. So in that case, I recommend one of the aforementioned schools (Ringling, VFS, etc.) or better yet, the online character animation classes. We had a student a few years ago that wanted to be an animator in the worst way, and he took 2 online character animation courses (Animation Mentor and IAnimate-he was an absolute novice when he started) over a 2 year span and was just recently hired at Blur to do animation on cinematics.

Last edited by MrPositive : 07 July 2014 at 03:04 PM.

reply share thread