New Workstation Build

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  02 February 2013
... hence, the boxster.
__________________
-- LinkedIn Profile --
-- Blog --
-- Portfolio --
 
  02 February 2013
We recently built the following workstation.

2x Xeon E5-2687w
1x ASUS Z9PE-D8 motherboard
8x 16GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) ECC
1x nVidia Quadro K5000
2x nVidia Tesla K20X
1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512GB for system
8x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB for projects
1x LSI SAS 9271-8iCC Raid Controller for the Samsung SSDs
4x Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM drives for footage archive
__________________
Fix it in pre.
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by dmeyer: We recently built the following workstation.

2x Xeon E5-2687w
1x ASUS Z9PE-D8 motherboard
8x 16GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) ECC
1x nVidia Quadro K5000
2x nVidia Tesla K20X
1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512GB for system
8x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB for projects
1x LSI SAS 9271-8iCC Raid Controller for the Samsung SSDs
4x Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM drives for footage archive


What are you cooking on that machine? 8K photoreal 3d hologramm feature films?
OK, seriously I'd love to see a vray/arnold session or some heavy houdini sims getting crunched on that setup on youtube.
__________________
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex & more violent..." Einstein
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by mustique: What are you cooking on that machine? 8K photoreal 3d hologramm feature films?
OK, seriously I'd love to see a vray/arnold session or some heavy houdini sims getting crunched on that setup on youtube.


Primarily 5K and soon 6K Red footage color grading and compositing. Also rendering and fluid sims, so a bit of everything.
__________________
Fix it in pre.
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by dmeyer: We recently built the following workstation.

2x Xeon E5-2687w
1x ASUS Z9PE-D8 motherboard
8x 16GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) ECC
1x nVidia Quadro K5000
2x nVidia Tesla K20X
1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512GB for system
8x Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB for projects
1x LSI SAS 9271-8iCC Raid Controller for the Samsung SSDs
4x Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM drives for footage archive


man.... how much did it cost? :O
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by okmijun: man.... how much did it cost? :O


without googling prices... my guestimate would be 11$K.
__________________
-- LinkedIn Profile --
-- Blog --
-- Portfolio --
 
  03 March 2013
o.o

After stumbling into this thread, I feel overly poor. All these specs of workstations to mine is like comparing fiber optic internet times four (your specs and speculations) versus dial up (my machine) divided by twenty. That's how I envision this thread. =x
__________________
Training to become a top 3-D character and creature animator

http://maelstorm7.deviantart.com/
 
  03 March 2013
Originally Posted by VoltStorm7: After stumbling into this thread, I feel overly poor. All these specs of workstations to mine is like comparing fiber optic internet times four (your specs and speculations) versus dial up (my machine) divided by twenty. That's how I envision this thread. =x


lol... it's all imaginary monies anyway. dream big!
__________________
-- LinkedIn Profile --
-- Blog --
-- Portfolio --
 
  03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.