How to fasten Maya when Arnold´s Render View is on?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05 May 2017   #16
Originally Posted by oglu: use less threads for the IPR... there is an option for...

Im only using 1 save UI thread, but i reduced it to 0

I think i found the problem origen, its actually the render settings, they have a big impact on Arnold "render view" IPR, i turned down to 0: Camera AA, Diffuse, Glossy, Refraction, SSS and Volume indirect, all those down to cero helped a lot to make the viewport faster, not yet "normal speed" because if i navigate on the viewport its still a bit difficult but my pc lowered its heat a lot too, it inmediactly stoped making the fan noise that laptops do when rendering big scenes, i also croped to an smaller render region. I still belive Arnold should allow material preview at the viewport for transparency, it will be much easyer to work at Maya.

So weird that i must lower all the quality in my scene just to be able to work better while using Arnold IPR, all this helped about 70% to reduce the problems but i still have difficulty to move around the scene, not that serious, but way smoother, at least now its safer to use Maya´s Arnold at home without the risk of starting a fire. Autodesk should add a warning to Arnold safe usage like: "use at your own risk".

I wish my "kind" of solution helps other users

Last edited by Bloops : 05 May 2017 at 07:21 AM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #17
I have no idea what you're doing, but you're doing it wrong.

Of course IPR is going to crank up clock cycles while it's calculating. Are you saying you work in IPR mode only? Why is IPR on in the first place?

I'm totally with you on ditching 2017, but not because you're doing it all wrong. Simply because Arnold is horrible and 2017 sucks. I still use 2015 - Maya is only worthwhile every three years, you see. 2009 was good. 2012 was gangster. 2015 is rock-solid. But that's just me, doing my arch/viz in mental ray and V-ray. Other results may vary.

And yes to the other discussion. CPUs heat up as they process, which is completely inefficient and a total waste of power and an obvious sign the physics driving these things is just terrible, but they always heat up. If the CPU cooler (heatsinks, fan) isn't powerful enough to dissipate this heat, it can certainly overheat. GPUs operate in the exact same manner - pushing charge through to propel electrons into physical switches (transistors). Heat is charge. Charge is photons. The more charge input, the more heat output.

The mere fact that CPU coolers exist should have told you that, mechanically.
__________________
Commodore 64 @ 1MHz
64KB RAM
1541 Floppy Drive


"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."
 
Old 05 May 2017   #18
Enter InfernalDarkness, stage left, who thinks every thread is his personal soapbox to bitch about how much he hates new Maya. This time, with some hilarious nonsense about how CPUs have "terrible physics" because they use power and generate heat when under load. Wow.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #19
I don't hate the newer versions and you can't straw man me. The OP is the one lashing out, not I. We've all pointed out his flaws here, weren't you one of the Unfollowers already?

And if a little physics bug you you might be in the wrong conversation. Tell us more how emitting heat is efficient use of energy. Hey, tell us what heat is in the first place and you might even have an argument. These engineers and physicists working on semiconductors sure can't. They can't even tell us what electricity is. Can you?
__________________
Commodore 64 @ 1MHz
64KB RAM
1541 Floppy Drive


"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."
 
Old 05 May 2017   #20
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: how emitting heat is efficient use of energy.

I completly agree with all you said, first i think its ok a little heat during rendering, specially when there is fluids, ncloth and simulation, but if my scene has none of those, heating only by IPR with Arnold its totally wrong, it was a very simple scene, cero animation, cero simulations but as soon i started Arnold´s IPR my pc became so hot, i mean burning hot, guys unless you do own an insurance dont let Arnold IPR running at home, it might start a fire.

I also agree that Maya 2015 was awesome, and maya 2017 its just an Arnold mess, Autodesk basically just plugged Arnold and trashed mental ray and guess what, Arnold isn´t free for batch, who sells a product with wattermarks? it needs so much work, many studios didnt update to Maya 2017, and i dont see them updating to 2018 unless its worth the money if you still need to consider extra license payments.

Its not that i want to use IPR, i really dont like it, it makes my scene slower... but i have a lot of Arnold transparent materials and the viewport doesnt preview Ai Standard Materials with transparency "opacy", so if i create like a big light earth shader for a hologram effect with transparency it basically becomes a black ball patch in the viewport and i cant see to the other side unless i start Arnold IPR just to see throught, but maya native materials with transparency preview perfectly in viewport and super easy using the transparency slider.

Viewport 2.0 and Arnold dont get along, so difficult to work, i hope my solution is going to help others until Autodesk solves this lack of strattegy, for now just lower all render quality to avoid Arnold IPR from burning your pc.

Last edited by Bloops : 05 May 2017 at 08:16 AM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #21
Man just stop using maya and arnold, it’s not for you.
Are you aware that almost all of your threads are about whining over maya and arnold and saying the same load of shit.

1st- Arnold frame buffer is simply one the best available, and really responsive.
So basically you are asking for what? You want arnold to work a 50% speed?!! It’s a non sense man.
Are you even know what is the purpose of the IPR?

It’s well known that laptops are heating as hell on full load, it’s not the fault of Arnold and no Arnold doesn’t want to burn your comp WTF. Having a render capable of using 100% of your comp power is what one is expecting.

“Im only using 1 save UI thread, but i reduced it to 0”
Have you read the manual? This option is saving cpu threads, it means that arnold will leave for maya viewport 1,2,3 free threads. Setting this to 0 will slow down your viewport while IPRing.

When i read you it’s like you are trying to do modelling with the IPR!

For transparency in the viewport, in maya you have lots of ways.
1st arnold transparency is working, just play with the transmission wheight.
Or you can use xray mode, or wireframe, or isolate what you are working on, etc (you don’t really need tansparency to work in the viewport)

Start to learn the tools and read the manual before saying all these nonsense whining sentences you are spreading all over the place.

Last edited by Onouris : 05 May 2017 at 03:47 PM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #22
I just passing through, wondering if you learned how to google "dxdiag".... seems you havent. In the meantime, I googled this for you:

https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Tutorials

Either learn Arnold or whine about it. Its up to you.
__________________
demo videos
Close, open-relationship: C4D / Zbrush
Hate / love: Maya / Houdini
Former gf: XSI
 
Old 05 May 2017   #23
If you really need transparency in the Viewport, just use a standard Maya shader as your base, such as Blinn or Phong. Then in the Shading Group, set your Arnold shaders to override at rendertime. This is how I've worked with mental ray since day one. Then if you for some reason need to use Maya's old software renderer, it's already set up.
__________________
Commodore 64 @ 1MHz
64KB RAM
1541 Floppy Drive


"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."
 
Old 05 May 2017   #24
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: If you really need transparency in the Viewport, just use a standard Maya shader as your base, such as Blinn or Phong. Then in the Shading Group, set your Arnold shaders to override at rendertime.

Thanks man!

Awesome news, i didn´t knew i could do this, thanks for sharing your knowledge, i will google it to know more how to do this.

I really dont know why Onuiris is insulting me,

how can i request user suspension?

He said this to me:
Originally Posted by Onouris: Man just stop using maya and arnold, it’s not for you.
Are you aware that almost all of your threads are about whining over maya and arnold and saying the same load of shit.


Unless onouris apologies i will request its account suspension for insulting and cyber bullying me, im not a load of shit as he mentions, i never did anything to him and i dont deserve this, just expressed my opinion freely about a software i use, as any one when sharing feedback, there is nothing wrong to say i dont like this and that. You also are making it a joke that usser Infernaldarkness has a simillar opinion and attacking him, we are free to express our opinions the way we want, but always polite, as i always did to you.

and for Luis Riera, this is what i get after google it: https://www.google.com.sv/?gws_rd=c...aya+2017+dxdiag

You see if i say i don´t know how, its obviously because i already checked on the internet not just on google but manny other places, no need to make a joke about it. I never joked about my own solution wich i shared to you step by step, and never said "oh wow i found it, now you google it" i might even helped our community by sharing this heating problem, it is a real Arnold problem and i even shared my heating reads they were super high, Maya´s Arnold IPR does can cause serious damage to your pc by overheat its components, and i did joke about it by not been efficient, Autodesk bad decisions, i hate it, maya 2017 can burn your pc, etc, but never insulted any usser, that´s crossing the line, i never insulted onouris nor any other user.

Guys im not in here to attack anibody, for me its even hard to write in english since its not my main language, if you dont want to contribute its ok, i do this because there is manny people that might require the same help as i do, so if they search for this problems on google, the answers will be here because cgsociety forum resoults are easy to find, but i do belive that insulting or joking about users is cyberbullying and its not ok, so i ask you politly to not do it, not for me but for the other readers that might be afraid for asking and sharing their experiences and solutions.

Fine you love Arnold extra payments and it works perfectly normal for you, thats ok, its your opinion and im sharing mine. Dont come in here to trash my own experience, i already proved that it is true and other ussers say it can happen, it means that many more people will experience the same issues, its cool that no one said anything before and maybe i was the first, i am a responsible person and im not afraid of Autodesk not liking that i say the true.

Last edited by Bloops : 05 May 2017 at 10:35 PM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #25
Yeah sure, the prophecies are true: Arnold will burn all our pcs and bring destruction to this world. Thats the master plan Autodesk has been hiding all this time and you just uncovered it.

Seriously.

P.s. im politedly leaving this thread for good so you can keep ranting about Arnold.
__________________
demo videos
Close, open-relationship: C4D / Zbrush
Hate / love: Maya / Houdini
Former gf: XSI
 
Old 05 May 2017   #26
Originally Posted by luisRiera: the prophecies are true: Arnold will burn all our pcs and bring destruction to this world. Thats the master plan Autodesk

LOL Thats cool man!

Last edited by Bloops : 05 May 2017 at 10:36 PM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #27
Man don’t play the victim i’m not saying that you are personally a load of shit, i’m just saying that what you said is a load of shit.

Also when you say “just expressed my opinion freely” expressing an opinion doesn’t mean spamming and whining on every single post about how bad is maya/arnold/autodesk/illuminati/spongeBob…

And there is no problem about asking noob questions i will gladly answer these questions. It becomes a problem when someone is whining about something that he doesn’t really understand and claiming bugs everywhere just because he didn’t get how and why things are working or learning the basics.

You can simply ask questions without all that fuss.




LOL,
Quote: Fine you love Arnold extra payments and it works perfectly normal for you, thats ok, its your opinion and im sharing mine. Dont come in here to trash my own experience, i already proved that it is true and other ussers say it can happen, it means that many more people will experience the same issues, its cool that no one said anything before and maybe i was the first, i am a responsible person and im not afraid of Autodesk not liking that i say the true.

Last edited by Onouris : 05 May 2017 at 12:09 AM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #28
Originally Posted by Onouris: i’m not saying that you are personally a load of shit, i’m just saying that what you said is a load of shit.LOL,

Im not shit and what i say isn´t shit either, please more respect, I bet you wouldn´t be very happy if i say that to you. At least i shared my solution while you only came to bully me.

The fact is that Arnold´s IPR overheats computers you like it or not, the fact is that Autodesk is asking for extra money to batch render with Arnold you like it or not, the fact is that when you buy maya 2017 you still get wattermarks, you like it or not, the fact is that Autodesk isn´t honoring studios that bought up to 30 MR licenses you like it or not, the fact is that Maya 2017 is one of the most criticized versions you like it or not, the fact is that there is a delay in the usual time that Maya releases its newest version meaning Maya 2018, you like it or not and the fact is that like others have discusseded in here (not just me) many people and studios have decided not to update to Maya 2017 you like it... or not... thats the fact, not shit talk. Thats not me been unfair to Autodesk, thats Autodesk been unfair to you.

Also i have never ever mentioned ilumination nor spounge bob LOL, I would never, ever trash your favorit cartoons if thats what you mean.

Last edited by Bloops : 05 May 2017 at 02:02 AM.
 
Old 05 May 2017   #29
This is too funny to unfollow.. Onouris, we have to options, either argue with this guy or play along.. I'll do the later.

"Yes, you are right about Arnold overheating my pc. In fact, I want to personally thank Solid Angle, because today, my frying pan broke and I was hungry, so I make myself some boiled eggs on my PC case while rendering fur in Maya.

Thank you, Autodesk"
__________________
demo videos
Close, open-relationship: C4D / Zbrush
Hate / love: Maya / Houdini
Former gf: XSI
 
Old 05 May 2017   #30
Originally Posted by luisRiera: This is too funny to unfollow.. Onouris, we have to options, either argue with this guy or play along.. I'll do the later.

"Yes, you are right about Arnold overheating my pc. In fact, I want to personally thank Solid Angle, because today, my frying pan broke and I was hungry, so I make myself some boiled eggs on my PC case while rendering fur in Maya.

Thank you, Autodesk"


haha yes i know, it's a hopeless case i guess.
he is scared from Arnold IPR to burn his house, imagine if he could batchrender OMG #black hole #dividing by zero #end of the world
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.