Unity Learning Expedition Round 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2018
Unity tip I found helpful last week, but not related to particles... itís about using keyframe reduction in Unity.Ever noticed when exporting an FBX with animation tracks you need to bake keys on every frame to reproduce accurate animation curves in Unity without overshoot?Unity has its own keyframe reducer that can speed up playback. The trick is changing the default value of .5 that sometimes doesnít preserve enough keys and produces overshoot. Changing to .01 for example fixes overshoot by adding back more keys into curves... and still reduces redundant keys seen as straight lines (not changing)Unity reduction was effective in this specific case, a long series of animated joints that pinch a vessel. Each joint doesnít need keys on every frame, only on the frames that the joint moves...https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t...8eKRMJNOnLB35ex

05 May 2018
Originally Posted by Gwelchster: Unity tip I found helpful last week, but not related to particles... itís about using keyframe reduction in Unity.Ever noticed when exporting an FBX with animation tracks you need to bake keys on every frame to reproduce accurate animation curves in Unity without overshoot?Unity has its own keyframe reducer that can speed up playback. The trick is changing the default value of .5 that sometimes doesnít preserve enough keys and produces overshoot. Changing to .01 for example fixes overshoot by adding back more keys into curves... and still reduces redundant keys seen as straight lines (not changing)Unity reduction was effective in this specific case, a long series of animated joints that pinch a vessel. Each joint doesnít need keys on every frame, only on the frames that the joint moves...https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t...8eKRMJNOnLB35ex

Useful tip.†I'll file that away Gary. I'd not noticed the issue yet but I'm sure I will.

There's much more I'd like to explore w/particles...and I have quests uncompleted. But my schedule shows it's past time I move on.

Chapter 2
User Interface

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 05 May 2018 at 05:45 AM.

05 May 2018
Unity's UI system elements are nested in a Canvas object.

Canvases are somewhat like web pages...you have proportional spacing and you can anchor objects so that they stay aligned to desired positions †no matter the screen size. You can put text, images, buttons, sliders and more in a canvas.

Again like web pages (perhaps Unity uses HTML under the hood for UI?) the tool's buttons can feature visual indicators of their state: normal, highlighted (roll-over), pressed and disabled.

Button states can be simple color tint, sprites or animations.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 05 May 2018 at 09:32 AM.

05 May 2018
One thing to be mindful when starting UI design is aspect ratio. Despite Unity's clever proportional spacing, things can fail (in aesthetics, readability or usability) if you don't do one of two things:
-Lock aspect ratio
or
-Test w/different aspect ratios.

This week I saw one of Unity's own sample assets fail in UI display because they weren't attentive with this. Some text was completely clipped off screen!

You can lock aspect ratio under player settings. By default (shown here) aspect ratios are not locked.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 05 May 2018 at 02:09 PM.

05 May 2018
Ultra-slick:

Whenever a canvas is created Unity automatically creates an Event System object. This handles all basic programming for you! So rollovers, clicks, toggles and sliders work w/no effort. Obviously you have to code the actions the buttons perform, but this is a great time-saver.

05 May 2018
Custom cursors (beyond simple mouse pointer) can be cool...sometimes you want it throughout...sometimes contextually. To do this throughout a game, just drag and drop here:

Cursors can also be animated, spawn sprites/ particles ....and rollovers, clicks can feature sounds.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 05 May 2018 at 02:07 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
I've been battling the blues a bit lately (life stuff, you know) and thus got off track. I'll be resuming the Unity Expedition tomorrow.

reply share thread