Transitioning from blender to maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Transitioning from blender to maya

I'm studying blender at the moment,

how long would it take to transition to maya when I am at least intermediate at blender?

02 February 2018
i jumped from xsi to maya...
it took me 1 day to model something in production...
it took me 1 week to get to speed...
and 1 month to be production ready... 

but i used it 10h 7days a week...

02 February 2018
Maya is mostly node-based and really easy to understand once you wrap your head around what that means. The UI is more traditional, but with the marking menus and customization you can use it multiple ways.

Blender's UI is... Well, it's not as bad as Zbrush's, but almost. If you were able to learn that mess, you should have no problem picking up Maya's straightforward, clean UI.

Functionally, many of the techniques will be very similar so it shouldn't take you forever to learn Maya, but that said it is vastly more complex and powerful, among the most powerful pieces of software ever written, but don't let that intimidate you! You don't have to learn every aspect of Maya to be good with it. I don't do character animation for example and have only dabbled in those features, but I don't need any of that to model and render up my architectural designs.

Just dive in and get started! You don't need to discard Blender. Learn them both!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

02 February 2018
yeah maya looks far more intuitive in layout

but I am having fun with blender

Last edited by enzed : 02 February 2018 at 11:43 PM.

02 February 2018
How do I avoid learning nodes?

*edit*

are there UI ways of doing things instead of using nodes?

Last edited by enzed : 02 February 2018 at 12:16 AM.

02 February 2018
No, you cannot and do NOT want to not learn nodes! They're among the most powerful features of modern software, Maya and Nuke especially.

It's really simple. An object is a SHAPE node, which has connections. The main connection is its TRANSFORM node, which tells us where it is in space (x,y,z) and its location, orientation (rotation), and pivot points. The other main connection is its SHADING node, which is the rendering material applied to the SHAPE geometry.

Shading is simple too. You have a main Shader, which has slots for all its nodes, such as a texture map or a bump map or color maps, ramps, etc. That way if you want to change the bump map, you just switch to another file or node quickly and easily. Or if you want to mix nodes to produce, say, random variations, you can mix the nodes THEN connect that mixture to the diffuse color or bump slots.

You'll see! It's really quite genius. Maya isn't the only node-based program, but it's a great example of their power.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: it's not as bad as Zbrush's

(That's like saying "it's not as bad as stepping on a lego". I think I can safely say that Zbrush has the single worst UI of any authoring tool I've ever used. It's willfully bad--it seems to deliberately try to make it hard for users to switch between Zbrush and anything else, with its bizarre camera navigation that wrecks your UI muscle memory in everything else...)

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by gfk: (That's like saying "it's not as bad as stepping on a lego". I think I can safely say that Zbrush has the single worst UI of any authoring tool I've ever used. It's willfully bad--it seems to deliberately try to make it hard for users to switch between Zbrush and anything else, with its bizarre camera navigation that wrecks your UI muscle memory in everything else...)
That's so true. I had no problem getting used to different 3D navigations over the years.
XSI, Max, Maya, Fusion, Nuke, Houdini even Google maps but that zBrush navigation is really something else.

And for Maya. I know everybody complains about it, and rightly so for early versions of Maya 2017, but now that's over, I totally recommend learning it. I used XSI before I switched to Maya and it took me about 3 months to be comfortable with it. And also never underestimate the power of the "community". If you run into a problem with Maya, most likely somebody wrote something to make it super efficient. Coming from XSI this was something that really blew me away. So try it.

Last edited by bwv656 : 02 February 2018 at 03:38 PM.

02 February 2018
nodes are simple, they're just attributes and they're visible

software that tries to hide attributes from you IMO is harder 

now.... granted maya does have a lot of node connections that auto generate that are confusing as hell. Houdini is the only 3d software that cleanly shows a node network, but it's also slower at performance

02 February 2018
Houdini slower at performance??? care to elaborate?
Houdini is way faster than Maya in pretty much everything. Houdini has the cleanest UI and easy to understand. 
Non destructive workflows. When you open Maya node editor with a complex rig is a joke, is soo messy. 

reply share thread