beware of software pirate

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
beware of software pirate

If this is against the policies of this board, then I fully apologize, and expect that a moderator will remove this thread.

I was just contacted by a Dave Ponda from Cameroon, Africa through MSN. Things started out innocent enough....we talked about C4D and he was sending me some of his work to look at.

Then he started asking about serial numbers. I sent him a link to maxonshop. He then started asking me why i wouldn't just give him my serial for Mocca. I tried to explain to him that I spent my own hard earned cash for this application. He then laughed and said you paid for it? I got mine for free. I get all my software for free.

So be warned. He is now blocked on my list. I will now also contact Maxon and let them know his msn address.

09 September 2004
You can't imagine how many people work with cracked, pirated, copied soft...
This is really sad and I'm not agree... In my job I loose hours of work becasue some archi studios work with pirated software (mostly CAD application) and casuing trouble and problem to sharing files using standart formats like dwg... the most of the time documents are definitively lost becasue a bug or somethin different. I noticed this come for all people who work with pirate version of CAD soft... I'm a freelancer with all original licences but even more I see people working (in a professional purpose) and using 'unpaied' soft, just downloaded from the web...

and I work a lot to pay all my licences

jdd

hope a day in architectural constes they ask to confirm that the office have original application, hehe I think 50% of the office will not do this contest...

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

09 September 2004
you know...i have to apologize. I don't mean to come off as snooty or 'better than thou'. I have used pirated software before. But i have never asked someone to give me their software that they paid for. It just kind of rubbed me the wrong way, that is all.

I will quit whining now and get back to work

Thanks for listening

G

09 September 2004
Its also worth considering that millions of people in the U.S., Europe, East Asia and other developed countries download and use pirated software from P2P networks and other places, even though the CAN actually afford to pay for the proper thing. If this guy is really from Cameroon, as he told you, that's a country with a per capita GDP of only $1,800 per person, per year, which is ludicrously poor by Western standards. There is no feasible strategy for enforcing copyright in these countries, because software vendors refuse to lower their prices in these markets to match people's purchasing power. If you travel around the third world a bit, you'll see that the vast majority of software used is pirated, because people don't have the purchasing power to buy anything at Western price levels.

I'm not defending the practice or anything, because I know how expensive software development is, but its worth noting that virtually all software companies go into these developing markets with a totally wrong pricing strategty, including Microsoft.

09 September 2004
I think you did the right thing 3dg.
Use of pirate software is already bad in the first place, but coming out bragging about it and asking for your seriel number is just totally disrespectful.

09 September 2004
It's sad really...I know people that just say "Why not download it?" when I say that I'm saving up for Cinema 4d. People just think 'Oh, it's just software who cares' and download away, well I'm saving up to buy a student licensed version of XL (hopefully 9 when it's released!) and when I hear my doorbell ring and the package comes that'll be the happiest day knowing that it's mine, it's legal, and I didn't just download it.

Screw you pirates!

*waits for the thread to close*

Thread Closed share thread