Wheatering Shader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Wheatering Shader

Hi,

I'm struggling to have something useful with the weathering shader.
For what I can see; it affects all edges of an object, I want only the outer edges to be affected. Any thoughts on how this could be accomplished if at all?
I was also looking at Paul Everest's "Grunge Shader" but I cannot find anything on how it works, I mean; I might have the same problem with it.

Thanks, Robert

08 August 2013
Hmm, what do you mean by "outer" edges? Based on view? Then the fresnel shader as a mask is your friend.

08 August 2013
Hey thanks Samir,

No, not based on view but as in attachment.

Regards, Robert

08 August 2013
I think you could layer the whole thing with a vertex map shader (and having only these edges weighted in the vertex map).

08 August 2013
I have Pauls Grunge Shader and you can indeed work with vertexmaps to exclude parts of your object to weather. Is incorporated in the shader.

odo

08 August 2013

something like this?

regards
Paul Everett

08 August 2013
Can you elborate about How you made this texture?
Did you make it with the weathering shader?

08 August 2013
Pauls example is made with his own grunge shader wich is available at www.c4dtools.de

odo

08 August 2013
Thanks a lot gentlemen for your answers.

Samir, it seems to me that with the vertex shader I have no control on the thickness of the mask, but maybe I'm missing something. I could of course create extra geometry for that reason, but I rather not do that.

Thanks Odo, what's the principle behind Grunge-Shader? The result looks good to me, but when I buy something I'd liked to know a little more than a picture.

Hi Paul, is there some video or explanation on how this works?
It seems that it will do what I want, but I'm an imaginative type

Regards, Robert

08 August 2013
Paul can probably best tell exactly how it all works.
The shader does have values for the edge weathering size (left/right/up/down). Then you can throw in some noise to randomise it and make it rougher. And with the vertexmaps you can adjust the placement, otherwise all edges get weathered. And you can throw this of course in any channel you like. Check out all examples on Pauls site and see also a screenshot of the pluginwindow.

I attach a simple example with grunge shader in color channel and vertex map to exclude (10% value) the left side of the upper cube.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Robert Glotzbach: Samir, it seems to me that with the vertex shader I have no control on the thickness of the mask, but maybe I'm missing something. I could of course create extra geometry for that reason, but I rather not do that.

You can put the vertex map shader into a colorizer for remapping the values. But Pauls shader is of course a quicker and more comfortable solution for the task probably offering some extra controls.

08 August 2013
You can do it to some extent natively, it's kind of workaround and not practical for complicated stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edge Shader.jpg (33.2 KB, 48 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Edge Shader.zip (70.2 KB, 25 views)

08 August 2013
couldn't you use an ambient occlusion shader for weathering.

Henry Moore

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread