AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2017   #196
Good day all fellow c4d fans,

I am a mac user and currently have an octane license.

Planning to get the new imac 5k soon which have Thunderbolt 3 for egpu.

What wil be the best route to take? Buying a Nivida card cos C4D prorender can support Nivida as well? Or Nivida is just supported in windows for prorender?

Or getting a AMD card as egpu since subsequent versions of octane will support AMD card?

Will what be the best bet?

Old 08 August 2017   #197
Same situation as me. Thinking of buying the iMac Pro as an interim solution until the 'real' Mac Pro comes along. – and keeping my old 12-core Mac Pro for Team Render and storage duties. I too have Octane, but finding it rather flaky and unreliable these days (still lightning quick, mind). I'm waiting to see how good ProRender is with a native AMD card. The good thing is that with eGPU boxes you can now have the best of both worlds: an AMD card inside; an NVIDIA card outside. Then you can see which workflow suits you best. If the new Vega GPU is as good as it sounds, I might just move over to ProRender and ditch Octane at some point – but I guess I'll see in December.

It'd be interesting to see similarly-specced AMD vs NVIDIA GPUs in a  straight ProRender face-off... In the meantime check out Bare Feats for some eGPU tests.

Old 08 August 2017   #198
Originally Posted by theglenster: sorry not in the first release. its a hell of alot of work so we had to decide to first concentrate on giving you everything you need to get the feel of the renderer. it will be coming though.

its importand to understand that the first version is NOT going to be a full production renderer, way to much is missing, but it will end up as one in the coming releases. we and AMD are fully behind this project

(Re:Skin Shader)

i will pass your request on to project management.
I would also like to see a dedicated skin shader, with preference to the open source ALSurface, and ALhair, then we have a render engine realy competing againts Vray, and Arnold in these areas.

Thanks,Dan

Old 1 Week Ago   #199
I just installed Cinema 4D R19. Sadly I get an error  when trying to use the Prorender engine. I googled a little and found out that my graphics card in my MacPro 5,1 is probably to old for the task. It is a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb. I am thinking about buying and installing a new graphics card. But what card would be the best in a MacPro 5,1 if I am to render with ProRender. Any ideas?

Old 1 Week Ago   #200
Originally Posted by henricius: I just installed Cinema 4D R19. Sadly I get an error  when trying to use the Prorender engine. I googled a little and found out that my graphics card in my MacPro 5,1 is probably to old for the task. It is a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb. I am thinking about buying and installing a new graphics card. But what card would be the best in a MacPro 5,1 if I am to render with ProRender. Any ideas?
It actually might be your OS.  What version Mac OS are you running?  I have an even wimpier card than you and I am able to run ProRender.  It's not fast on my card, but it works.  

Old 1 Week Ago   #201
I'm using an ATI 5770 card in my PC and R19 with no issues...albeit rather slowly but it works.

Old 1 Week Ago   #202
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: It actually might be your OS.  What version Mac OS are you running?  I have an even wimpier card than you and I am able to run ProRender.  It's not fast on my card, but it works.  

I'm on the latest version of Mac OS and I haven't been able to render any of the demo scenes at all, but that's because they all exceed my VRAM!  I need to find time to get back into C4d and do some simple tests.

The impending release of X-particles 4 (got the email today!) has me holding off to see what the new coffee lake chips are capable of before I stay in the Mac ecosystem despite the support of eGPUs

Old 1 Week Ago   #203
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: It actually might be your OS.  What version Mac OS are you running?  I have an even wimpier card than you and I am able to run ProRender.  It's not fast on my card, but it works.  
OK, maybe. I am using Mac Os 10.10.5. What version are you on?

Old 3 Days Ago   #204
How are people getting on with ProRender? Sadly it's unusably buggy on my Mac Pro with GTX980Ti. Keeps on seizing C4D up, even with very simple scenes. It's a new version of R19, so doesn't even have that many plugins installed. I'm sure it's destined for great things, but so far… not so much.

Old 3 Days Ago   #205
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: How are people getting on with ProRender? Sadly it's unusably buggy on my Mac Pro with GTX980Ti. Keeps on seizing C4D up, even with very simple scenes. It's a new version of R19, so doesn't even have that many plugins installed. I'm sure it's destined for great things, but so far… not so much.
Please note that on macOS (due to Bugs in the OpenCL driver for NVIDIA) you can't use NVIDIA gfx cards and are instead using the experimental CPU code path. If you want to utilize powerful NVIDIA cards, then currently Windows is the way to go.

Best regards,

Wilfried

reply share thread