R19 - Correctional PSD Questions (Mirroring, Drivers, etc)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
R19 - Correctional PSD Questions (Mirroring, Drivers, etc)

Hi,
I am playing around with the new correctional PSD function and some questions occured:

- How can I properly mirror a PSD (for example Shoulder L to Shoulder R) ? I tried with symmertical meshes like Flabio from CB and when I add a new pose for PSD, replace it with the prior and try to mirror it in X Axis it distorts the mesh and is not a clean mirrored mesh. I guess the other target somehow still influences and I see a mix of sevreal?

- If I have created a PSD and accidentially have moved a point I did not want to move...how do I delete points from the PSD influence? A map that shows included points would be nice so I can paint in and out for a PSD

- At the moment I am having a hard time with the PSD GUI: How can I see and determine the attributes in detail that are driving my PSD? The PSD tab shows me some general driving attributes like "Auto orient blend" etc...but what if I want to determine one specific axis rotation as a driver for example? Can I do that or is going back to Xpresso?

Cheers if anyone could help

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Don't have an answer to your question ...but do have some solid advice. Don't use it! It destroys your objects if your not carefull. It's basically one big giant bug. If you don't use the exact steps the programmer made during devellopment it will blow up in your face. And that is with two bones and a cylinder... I think this will win the golden bug award for 'sloppiest coding ever released'. Team render can't even touch it.
Appearantly Maxon doesn't care anymore what they release so a better advice would be to stop using Cinema all together. Vote with your wallet maybe that will wake them up.

...and yes you will need xpresso to gain control, defeating the whole purpose... meaning morphmil is still the only solution to create corrective morphs that work as expected. Keith released it when we where at version 10 I think. I'm seriously considering Blender.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
OK the mirroring doens't even work on a cylinder. Which means twice the work manually whilw having a hard time to be perfectly symmertical. Maybe "to mesh" and mirror would work but that workflow is rather tedious (and I do not even want to try it)

The desired option here would be sth. like: "Duplicate PSD and Mirror X/Y/Z (local/world)" and after that define the driver in detail (or check for according joint).

You are right the whole process seems to be rather fragile. Best is not copying things around but building everthing from ground up for all sides.

I still find the PSD tab really confusing. I mean if I want to set up a PSD wouldn't I want to see:

"drive morph target A with attribute B(+attribute C) of object D" in the GUI of C4D, no? But it is all hidden from the user.
At least a button to create a Xpresso setup from the tab would be the way to go.

Sadly this was my main feature for updating to R19 next to Prorender. Waiting for it for years. And both are.......

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Hi

I have successfully used the PSD with symmetry. I have a workflow, but its late now, but il post it tomorrow. In short there are a few gotchas such as you must pose both limbs the same even while working on one half as the PSD stores a copy of the pose so when you mirror a copy of the pose the joint rotation must match. Also when you do this Post deformers needs to be turned on, and the PSD options the blending is off and must be turned on again. I will did out my video blog tomorrow as I writing this off the memory. The PSD was the main reason I wanted r19 too, and it does work well.

Dan

Dan

Last edited by Rectro : 1 Week Ago at 10:56 PM.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Looking forward to the tut because I mirrored the PSD exactly in the way you describe. Symmetrical joint position and symmetrical mesh and it destroys it...I hope someone has figured it out.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Originally Posted by zeden: Looking forward to the tut because I mirrored the PSD exactly in the way you describe. Symmetrical joint position and symmetrical mesh and it destroys it...I hope someone has figured it out.

There is a few more steps. Iv editing a video I made that covers a process including Zbrush workflow to only show what you need. The video is uploading now. Link will be posted soon.

Its processing now, the link will work once its processed.
https://youtu.be/mH93MdWGCnE

Dan

Last edited by Rectro : 1 Week Ago at 11:13 AM.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Either way is a Maxon failure for its ease of use that is known by..

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Hi Rectro,
I really appreciate the effort you put into this! Thanky you.

I was a happy camper and watched your long version before you replaced it with the shorter edit

The mirroring is broken as can be seen in your vid ...you also failed to get a duplicated clean mirrored morph when you tried it the instinctive way... that is exactly the thing I ran into as well. Strange. Another strange thing is this target workflow with dragging in and clearing as relative morph. Wouldn't I want to drag in a PSD directly? The disabled checkboxes everywhere: I do not know if this is a security feature or a bug.

Thanks for pointing out the "to base" command. I missed it so far and it answers my initial question for how to correct morphs. Great!

All in all a very welcomed feature but I still think it needs polish.

Thanks!

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Originally Posted by zeden: Hi Rectro,
I really appreciate the effort you put into this! Thanky you.

I was a happy camper and watched your long version before you replaced it with the shorter edit

The mirroring is broken as can be seen in your vid ...you also failed to get a duplicated clean mirrored morph when you tried it the instinctive way... that is exactly the thing I ran into as well. Strange. Another strange thing is this target workflow with dragging in and clearing as relative morph. Wouldn't I want to drag in a PSD directly? The disabled checkboxes everywhere: I do not know if this is a security feature or a bug.

Thanks for pointing out the "to base" command. I missed it so far and it answers my initial question for how to correct morphs. Great!

All in all a very welcomed feature but I still think it needs polish.

Thanks!
Hi.

Re: Target workflow, you cant drag a target object in while PSD is selected as it wont allow you to change the post deformers, and it applies the morph wrong. Iv tried it all other ways, and only that workfow lest you apply a target mesh as a PSD not have it apply a double transform. Its not ideal, but it works.

Maxon do need to think a little more into this as you should not have to expand a whole list of joints, deselect them and set a new driver. In my case it was simple, but when multiple joints are used for a single PSD it can be confusion as to which joints you need to select or deselect. The C4D only workflow Im getting the results that work as shown in video with arms up and down, so not sure what part of the video, and which video showed I was having mirror issues? I can put the long version back up if you wish? I didn't publish the long version as I still want to refine the workflow before making it public. The mirror flip x for morphs seem to work ok as long as the deformation is on one side. Also you find that the mirror weighting is not quite as workable as shown in the demo videos. It keeps moving the centre verts off the x axis which in tern messes up PSDs.

Please do get into Maxon as I will as they need as many people as possible to get the message across. The lack of video training for the PSD is not good, but guess its not been out long. We need to use it right away.

Dan

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
A little update of the workflow. I found that by still posing each limb the same but one at a time you can get away with having to reset the driver. Here is a short video on this. Sorry about back ground noise. Il do a proper video tomorrow. Also in the Points Option from the basic tab of the Pose morph you can set the threshold higher so it wont be to sensitive to selecting the wrong driver.

https://youtu.be/PJ7gHshZveE

Last edited by Rectro : 1 Week Ago at 08:18 PM.

reply share thread