Matching a plate

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Matching a plate

Hiya, I'm looking to light a scene of my model, and add it back into live action,

So was wondering if there is ways of matching the lighting in the footage to light my scene,

Should they be capturing hdri's on location? is that how its done?

So is there a work around...

Cheers
Graham

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Try this:
https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/...112617301<br />

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Last edited by vid2k2 : 2 Weeks Ago at 04:34 PM.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
It all depends on the scene, and what you want to achieve (as usual).

You may be able to match the lighting well enough just by strategically placing lights, or using a similar HDR panorama.
If you have access to the location when shooting, AND you have a tripod and camera that can shoot with Auto-bracketing, AND you have software that can stitch (http://www.kolor.com/autopano/), AND you have the time to do it, then that will give you a great result.

I'd go for the former :-)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Cheers David, and vid.

Yes I'll look into that software, but I guess as you say I can try and re-create the lights maybe.

Its inside a car, a new car shoot.

never done it before so a bit daunting, but I may try doing it in cinema with physical render.

Or maya and arnold.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Typically we have an hdri capture. That is a great starting point.

The other pdten more useful thing. Even for getting hdris graded and exposed right, is a .18 grey sphere and a chrome sphere photo in the environment. If you light a cg grey sphere to match you are starting in a very good place. The chrome is more for matching spec or the hdri.

If you match those your cg will sit well and you can then focus on aethetically pleasing touches.

If you are dong anything outside though, and hdri alone for a sunny sky will not really suit. You should extract your sun from the sky, patch the sky up and use either two environment lights, one for the sun and one for the sky, or a textured loght for the sun dont use a distant light on its own for a sun in vfx as you'll never have the natuall hazing glare around the sun in your spec

reply share thread