Improving performance by BRDF-BSDF whatsoever...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Improving performance by BRDF-BSDF whatsoever...

I've been thinking for a long time why even the simplest 3ds Max scene is taking unacceptably long time to render with mental ray. I've once read some articles around saying something about assigning a BRDF material into a BSDF Slot (or vice versa) and that improves performance.

I don't remember the exact statement since it didn't make much sense to me at the time , however, I have intuitive reasons to believe that Mental Ray doesn't take some of Max material properties into account so calculates some properties unnecessarily until it reaches some limiting depth value.

Do any of you have knowledge on assigning faster materials or usage of this BRDF-BSDF thing in Mental Ray?

09 September 2013
Hi

to use BRDF - BSDF need you special Light Shaders and Algorithm like Multiple Importance Sample. It give from 0x1 Software a very good BSDF-BRDF Shader Packet. To use the original BRDF/BSDF Shader must we wait of the new mental ray Version. We can forget mia, bsdf, brdf... The name of new Shader technology is MILA. NVIDIA work on product ready Version with new Light Shader, Hair and some other features. Than can we use Multiple Importance sampling and that is Great, no noise from Specular Light, or diffuse reflection in a very a short time. I know we mental ray User waiting for a long time of new Technics, but this waiting have a end with new Version of mental ray.

mfg
hot chip

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread