Cyberpunk self portrait!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  08 August 2013
Hey,

it looks very promising

Now that I haven't looked at it for a couple of days, I've got some suggestions to make.
As you already said, the black on the right side of the face is too dark. You cannot see any details anymore there, which is a shame, as you put so much work in it.

What is bothering me as well, are the lines on each side of the nose, coming down from the eyes. I don't know exactly what they are, I guess the end of the dark cycles around the eyes, but they are looking a little strange, to much cut out.

But the rest is really nice Looking forward to see more

Anna
 
  08 August 2013
Originally Posted by anna1: What is bothering me as well, are the lines on each side of the nose, coming down from the eyes. I don't know exactly what they are, I guess the end of the dark cycles around the eyes, but they are looking a little strange, to much cut out.


Now that you point that out, you're completely right! I have no idea how I didn't notice that before! Thanks Anna
 
  08 August 2013
Hey AndrewMcC, nice work! I really like the design and concept for this model. I have been checking out the thread since you started it and am overall really impressed. Now that you are lighting it nice a dramatically I feel like you missing some angles on the face that could really make the model pop. I did a quick liqufication of one of your renders with a paint over to show you what i am talking about. Im not sure what ref you used for the face so i don't what this to look like a correction, just thought you might want some un-objective feed back.

But this is a very cool model, looking forward to seeing the finished product

[IMG][/IMG]
 
  08 August 2013
Thanks again for the feedback Anna! All fixed up texture-wise
But now I feel like I've bumped up the fill light too much! The image looks really flat..
I think I'm going to just fully redo my lighting setup.. This is the part that I'm never really happy with :\ I'll get on that tomorrow!



Originally Posted by LeeSalo: Hey AndrewMcC, nice work! I really like the design and concept for this model. I have been checking out the thread since you started it and am overall really impressed. Now that you are lighting it nice a dramatically I feel like you missing some angles on the face that could really make the model pop. I did a quick liqufication of one of your renders with a paint over to show you what i am talking about. Im not sure what ref you used for the face so i don't what this to look like a correction, just thought you might want some un-objective feed back.


Hey man! Thanks so much And feel free to give me as much feedback as possible! This is the first real thing I've lit and rendered in vray, so I need all the help I can get Thanks as well for the paint over! I agree with you on the angles! Especially the cheek bones and eyebrows I could make a lot more defined. The only issue is this is a self portrait, so I can't alter it TOO much without making it look less like me :\ I just have a very boring face I guess.. hah. My reference for this was basically the side and front view photos you can see about page 1 or 2, in which I was sculpting the skull, as well as a mirror I kept with me to get the majority of the rest of my face. I don't have many photos, since I'm not very photogenic, but I'll try to find a few to give you an idea of what I look like.




Don't judge! like I said, not photogenic, but I tried to find a few photos to show you my face from different angles, so you get an idea of what I look like.
 
  08 August 2013
that's looking much better

Yeah, light is always a little bit tricky. What I would suggest for you image, especially as you are using vray. Start with an area light, which you use as light dome and put an HDRI in it. Maybe a sky with sun or a studio set up. Then rotate it so long until you like how the light comes. You will see, from which side the strongest light will come. Then use a key light for support. And then it is a lot of tweaking around with the rim light and the fill light. They don't have to be very strong, maybe half of the intensity of the key light, but that varies a lot. It really depends on your scene. What I think is the most important thing, use decay, that gives so much to your scene.
As I don't know your light set up for you scene, it might be, that you are already using all the things I said, but as always, just ideas.

Anna
 
  08 August 2013
Originally Posted by anna1: Yeah, light is always a little bit tricky. What I would suggest for you image, especially as you are using vray. Start with an area light, which you use as light dome and put an HDRI in it. Maybe a sky with sun or a studio set up. Then rotate it so long until you like how the light comes. You will see, from which side the strongest light will come. Then use a key light for support. And then it is a lot of tweaking around with the rim light and the fill light. They don't have to be very strong, maybe half of the intensity of the key light, but that varies a lot. It really depends on your scene. What I think is the most important thing, use decay, that gives so much to your scene.
As I don't know your light set up for you scene, it might be, that you are already using all the things I said, but as always, just ideas.


Thanks again Anna! Hmm.. I think what I'll do tomorrow, is relight it, and I'll split each lights effect into a different image, so you get a clear idea of what each one is doing, so you can see what I'm doing wrong Thanks again!
 
  08 August 2013
Okay, so I put a basic SSS on the face, and everything else with a standard grey shader, and rebuilt the lighting setup from the ground up. Here is about where I'm at.



followed by light breakdown,

Key Light



Fill lights (incl. dome light)



and finally, Rim Lights.

 
  08 August 2013
Hey,

so just a couple of thought Currently I cannot really see the eyes, which is a shame, as they are saying a lots of things about characters. So maybe, put the keylight not on the top/back of the character, but maybe on the left side on eye level. Then you wont get these shadows under the nose, chin and around the eyes, because they are taking away to much of the character in my opinion. I don't know in which light mood you want him, but I think, that the light dome with the HDRI is too dark. If you want to have the one you are currently using for the reflections, then it is fine, but maybe use a second one as well, only for lightning and make it stronger, so that you have a basic light atmosphere. I think the fill light could be a little bit stronger as well. Maybe put it on the opposite of the keylight for lightning up the shadows a little bit and giving it in the dark places a little bit more light, so that you can get an idea, what's going on there. I like the idea of the back light, it is really nice, maybe leave it there and look, how it works with the other ones. Just one last thing. Maybe start with white light and as soon as you have it, you can tweak around the colours and check out, what's looking nice.

Are you using the VRAY camera as well? Because there are also some setting, which work hand in hand with the light.

I hope that helps a little bit

Anna
 
  08 August 2013
okay, first of all! I am using a vray camera Although I am a bit new to it, so I tend to just leave it as is. Secondly, I fixed the eyes by making them seem as if they were glowing. Also! it makes them look really unnatural and creepy, which I do kind of like! I just don't know if they're too bright or not.

Also, I like the top down lighting setup, just to give the guy a bit more character! But I do see what you mean, so I put a light left of the camera as you said, just to create a bit better fill and I think it works better! Here's a look.



I honestly have no idea if I'm just going round in circles.. this has always been my problem with lighting. The tweaking takes forever! But thanks so much for your advice, Anna Really appreciate it!
 
  08 August 2013
Originally Posted by AndrewMcC: okay, first of all! I am using a vray camera Although I am a bit new to it, so I tend to just leave it as is. Secondly, I fixed the eyes by making them seem as if they were glowing. Also! it makes them look really unnatural and creepy, which I do kind of like! I just don't know if they're too bright or not.


hmm... I think I wrote it down wrong. I ment not directly the eyes, because now it is looking a little bit creepy, as you said, but the area around the eyes. Where all the dark shadows where.

I think it is looking nicer, but might be a problem, could be the strong light on the top, as the metal part on the top is currently eroding. But that can change, if you put some dark textures on it, so I would just leave it for know and then tweak it some more, if the textures are on it.

But still, nice progress

Anna
 
  08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.