Beginner MP (WIP), your feedback would be hugely appreciated

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Beginner MP (WIP), your feedback would be hugely appreciated

Hello,
I have been an avid follower of matte painting for some time, but I am only now starting to dip my toes into this technique. This is my second attempt at a Matte Painting (not actually a true MP, since the ocean would need animating, of course). There is no actual, practical use for this image, I'm just trying to learn by doing.

It is the groundwork for a more complex scene (there will be a ship to the left and a tower/castle/fortress of some sort spread over the island). But I would really appreciate comments, critique and suggestions before adding the other elements I just mentioned.

I feel the island's cliffs to the left need more highlights (lighter), and the color integration on the lower right side of the island where it's in shadow doesn't look quite right. Any suggestions would help me a lot.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR LOOKING.

11 November 2012
An update to my previous image: the island has structures placed upon it, and thanks to some advice in another forum, I worked over the hue/saturation and lightness of the whole image, specially the island. Any suggestions or advice is more than welcome.

11 November 2012
hi Santiago, nicer 2nd image, I like what you did with the scale reference on the island, it give live to it and a lot of sense of scale, I also like you new use of haze , but I would tint that haze a little orange / sunset color just to make it blend nicer with the overall lighting
the horizon line and coast makes it too flat , almost splits the image in 2, I would try to get rid of that line by adding some more foreground rocks or boats maybe , break up that line with more detail and you will have a more successful image.

saludos !

11 November 2012
Hi Jaime, thank you so much for your feedback. It's a great privilege to get comments and suggestions from you: I'm a huge fan of your work.

I'm posting a new image here, almost completed, incorporating new elements (I strengthened the structures on the island, added the ships and tinted the haze just as you suggested). Hopefully this is a stronger composition and the image looks better.

Saludos to you too!

07 July 2013
Hello Santiago,
Your image has improved a lot since version 1 but you will have to find overall balance. Currently it feels too much like separate elements and I think the sky is not helping your composition.
Often the nicest sky photograph might not be working ideally for a specific matte painting. What you want to watch out for is matching scale and perspective, not just the lighting. Hope to see version 4 soon. Keep it up.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread