IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Bi-Week-003: May 6-19- 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Quote: @Rez007
NAME: Blaster X HD
COMPANY: 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)

Rudy, I like the latest gameplay trailer. Interesting looking and neatly done game that 'might' be addictive. As others have said, it's still hard to guess how exactly it works and what do we do so I will wait for your next gameplay video. Good luck!

As for the marketing, I guess for your next game you should definitely consider opening a developer diary or something. Similar to Stasis, and many other indie developers. That definitely helps building the initial fan following.

I have a question for everyone though, are there any affordable companies/freelancers who can do Internet Marketing etc. for a project like ours (games/comics/mixed media etc.). Creating an IP and promoting it at the same time basically doubles the work and not proving to be very efficient IMO.

05 May 2013
Quote: @banman7
I LOVE KAIJU

The project will be broken down into 4 parts.
1) Paper print 2) Online animated gif 3) App 4) animated online series which will later be compiled and sold on DVD.

Your latest designs look cooler than previous ones. It seems you are developing the story from character designs. And your character designs are changing on the go too. As you are planning a lot in coming time, do you think it's better to plan out a structured story/script first? If you have written it down already probably it's a good time to re-iterate with new characters and make it better. When you have several mediums the risk to waste time also goes high. If you have done all this already then great. I am just assuming this because your concepts are changing on the go. Good luck!

Quote: @Pyke
and the sounds of the empty bowels of the ship echo through the engineering decks.

This reminds me, the sound design in your gameplay videos is really adding a LOT to the mood. You doing it yourself too?

Quote: @Frotze
CONCEPT NAME: Le Gouffre

The autumn sequence in your blog looks great. As I am planning to submit to some festivals myself have you considered the cost of film conversion too? I have yet to explore that but I remember somebody telling me it's quite expensive. Not all festivals require it but the big ones do. The festival fee is already going to take a chunk from my savings.

Quote: @grantmoore3d
CONCEPT NAME:
Soliloquy of a Madman

Within the depths of his own mind, a man seeks the answer to an unknown question. Facing fragmented thoughts, haunting memories and reflections of self, the actions taken will lead to enlightenment or self-destruction

Your project description is always quite intriguing to me. And I really want to see how it translates into the game. I am not sure if I have played something like this before.

Self Destruction works. What's with the growing grass in the enlightened version?

05 May 2013
Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

CGTalk WIP thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=153&t=1103500

Project Description:
SCHIRKOA is the story (an IP maybe) I will be trying to develop in coming years.
At the moment I am aiming at an animated Short Film. Followed by a graphic novel. And then let's see what else can come out. It's set in a dystopian city, involves bagheads and some other 'creatures'

Status Number: 3

Team Members: 2
Ishan (Writing/Directing/CGI/Graphic Novel/everything else)
Yiming (Rigging/Animation/Simulations)

What went right this week: Defined the style of graphic novel. Finalized a bunch of characters (families) in the city of Schirkoa.

What went wrong: Couldn't work at all for a week as I was out of town. But it was fun . And I feel it was important.

Show & Tell:

Family portrait of family 197A. There will be more character sheets in the coming weeks for different families in Schirkoa. The render below also defines the style of the graphic novel. Next update will be the official synopsis.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by redCigarette: Your project description is always quite intriguing to me. And I really want to see how it translates into the game. I am not sure if I have played something like this before.

To put the game mechanics very simply, I intend the gameplay style to be similar to other Action Adventure games like Assasin's Creed or Uncharted, but with a bit more emphasis on the hack and slash style combat you'd find in God of War. The vast majority of the game is going to be exploring the environment, encountering bad guys and defeating them with the combat techniques you have available. Pretty standard stuff in terms of how a lot of action adventure games play.

Where my game differs is that I am not making it purely for entertainment's sake, but instead I want it to be more of an art project with an intended message that the player discovers through the game mechanics. What I want to express is that when looking at yourself and you come across something you don't like (such as a painful past memory, or something you don't like about yourself) that you shouldn't fight it but instead embrace your faults lovingly so that you can change them towards something positive / productive. By fighting them through suppression, anger or other means, you only end up hurting yourself and personal progress is impossible.

So one of the key mechanics in the game is that if you use brutal combat techniques to defeat the enemy (punching, slashing, beating into the ground, etc...), you will move towards self-destruction. As you move closer to self-destruction the game will get darker, you will get darker and the enemies will become more difficult. To the point where if you are fully "evil" you simply can't beat the game and will be returned to the beginning.

If instead you choose to go the path of enlightenment by using non-voilent techniques (which I'm hoping will look more like very well-timed evades and re-directions of enemy attacks, to the point where you almost "dance" with the enemy) the game will become lighter, enemies will become easier and you eventually can just walk through the last level, transforming everything around you to light simply by existing.

The key to making this message happen is that the player must first fail by going the typical route of attacking their foes (which from a gamer's perspective, is probably the more "fun" way of playing the game at first glance). I want them to fail at least once. I hope to entice them towards the "good" side by making those non-violent attacks more difficult to pull off on the easy enemies but reward them with a more visually pleasing combo. Sort of like when you can beat the game with the basic combo set, but once you realize you've got a special move, you want to try and use it because it's awesome.

I'm still figuring it out, but I hope that helps explain my overall intended direction. I'm pretty much spoiling the biggest plot twist I intend for my game here, but that's only because it's the IP-club thread, I'll be trying my best to leave all of this hidden to the player once it gets to that point. Any questions / critiques / comments are welcome as I'm still figuring out exactly how I want to build this as I go.

Originally Posted by redCigarette: Self Destruction works. What's with the growing grass in the enlightened version?

The growing grass is kind of broken right now, but what I'm going for artistically is that once you achieve enlightenment, you are creating life and prosperity everywhere you go. So fields of grass will pop up around you, butterflies, etc...

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 05 May 2013 at 07:58 PM.

05 May 2013
CONCEPT NAME: HYPERREALITY ENGINE

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
A hybrid real-time ray tracing rendering engine that uses ray tracing and rasterizing render techniques to deliver real-time performance of 3D scenes with animation.

STATUS NUMBER: 3

TEAM MEMBERS:(Voluntary)
Jules Bushell

START DATE
April 2012

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : (Voluntary) -
April 2014 (?)

WIP THREAD:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...97&page=1&pp=15

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK:
STill of course modelling the 3D world for the engine tech demo. I'm not a 3D modeller but learnt a lot the past week or so to do with texturing; applying base textures, building up with dirt and weathering etc. etc.

WHAT WENT WRONG:
Ran out of time to do what I wanted recently because of working 15+ hour days. Sorry for slow progress.

SHOW AND TELL:
Nothing new worthy to show yet (WIP).

Jules

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by redCigarette: Concept Name: SCHIRKOA

That concept is definitely intriguing, I like the style. The cool thing about having bags on their heads is you'll save a lot of time modeling and animating faces in your short. On the other hand, you might have a hard time expressing emotions. Have you thought about that?

About that pic you posted, does the man on the right have a bag shaped like a skull or is it an actual skull? He brings a cool eerie feel to the overall picture, I like him.

Originally Posted by redCigarette: The autumn sequence in your blog looks great. As I am planning to submit to some festivals myself have you considered the cost of film conversion too? I have yet to explore that but I remember somebody telling me it's quite expensive. Not all festivals require it but the big ones do. The festival fee is already going to take a chunk from my savings.

Thanks! I thought most festivals nowadays accepted digital files but you may be right about the bigger ones. One thing I read is that if you're chosen for the oscars preselection, you have to send your film converted in a matter of a few weeks so that's something we're definitely keeping in mind. I'm really not sure about the price though, was it something like a thousand bucks? Maybe someone who's done it before can enlighten us.

05 May 2013
Quote: @grantmoore3d
The key to making this message happen is that the player must first fail by going the typical route of attacking their foes (which from a gamer's perspective, is probably the more "fun" way of playing the game at first glance). I want them to fail at least once. I hope to entice them towards the "good" side by making those non-violent attacks more difficult to pull off on the easy enemies but reward them with a more visually pleasing combo. Sort of like when you can beat the game with the basic combo set, but once you realize you've got a special move, you want to try and use it because it's awesome.

How big is your game? If you have played Dishonored, you know that you may not need to let the players replay the game. If you play by killing everyone around producing 'chaos' the ending is going to be chaotic and unpleasant. If you play through stealth all the way not getting detected by most and killing lesser people causing less 'chaos' the ending is less unpleasant and positive. Have a look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca4EdhcSiK0

So just a thought. Probably you can leave the choice to the players. There could even be a third stage/ending (neither destruction nor enlightenment) where you just end up as an ordinary person (killing+stealth in proportion) trapped in the cycles of life.

Quote: @Frotze
That concept is definitely intriguing, I like the style. The cool thing about having bags on their heads is you'll save a lot of time modeling and animating faces in your short. On the other hand, you might have a hard time expressing emotions. Have you thought about that?

About that pic you posted, does the man on the right have a bag shaped like a skull or is it an actual skull? He brings a cool eerie feel to the overall picture, I like him.

Yup they are a big time saver! I am basing their emotions on simple expressions like smile, anger (morphs on the bagheads). Besides, they might take away bags somewhere in the story. You never know The man on the right is a skullhead. I like him too. He is simply a senior citizen.

There is a cool informative podcast regarding film conversion. It's old but still very useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=xgMwJcu75x0#!

05 May 2013
Hi Everyone,

Sorry about my delay in posting, just trying to keep everything in order and playing a little "catch-up" with the busy week I had. Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions - I definitely take note and make improvements anywhere I can.

I have some good news that we recently received, and that was from Kotaku. For those of you who may not know, Kotaku is a very big news outlet for gaming and other tech information. Kotaku actually just gave our game, Blaster X HD a feature/mention as a recommended game to play for the week. Our game was also mentioned in the same article as Zynga's new Running with Friends. That is some pretty big exposure and is also exciting to see and be judge by one's peers. I posted the link below if anyone is interested is reading.

Blaster X HD on Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/your-weekend-is-...aming-500507250

In addition to the news above, we recently just posted some new gameplay video that features some aspects to our game, but most notably shows some footage for Worlds Horizon and District. Please let me know what you guys think.

Blaster X HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bla...d615851024?mt=8

Thanks,
Rudy
2GMG on Twitter

05 May 2013
Ok time to update the list.
I would encourage all to update your status,
since I plan to plug ONE PROJECT next week.

STASIS_________________Games ______Dec 2010_____04-16-2013
___Link
NeverEndingPrincessStory___Animation____TBD__________04-16-2013___ Link
Le Gouffre_______________Animation ___July 2011______04-16-2013___ Link
Top secret project _________Animation ___TBD_________04-16-2013____ Link
Spec Commercial__________Animation___ April 2013______04-17-2013___ Link
I am the Antagonist________Cross Media _TBD__________04-17-2013___ _Link
SCHIRKOA_______________Animation___ Mid 2010______04-17-2013___ Link
HYPERREALITY ENGINE_____3D Engine ___ April 2013_____04-18-2013___ Link
Blaster X HD_____________Games ______End of 2010____04-25-2013 ___Link
Soliloquy of a Madman _____ Games _____January 2013___04-23-2013 ___Link
Le Gouffre _______________Animation_____ July 2013_____ 04-23-2013___Link
I LOVE KAIJU_____________Animation___ April 2013______05-04-2013___ Link
NeverEndingPrincessStory __ Animation __June 2010_______04-29-2013___ Link
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Jules123:
WIP THREAD:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...97&page=1&pp=15

Hi Jules,

When I tried clicking on your WIP link, it came up as "page not found."

Just wanted to let you know.
2GMG on Twitter

05 May 2013
Roberto, I'm going to assume you'll at least let the creator know before you plug their project? Reason I'm asking is because if were me, I wouldn't necessarily want to be plugged until I've hit a certain point in development.

Though, it would be kind of fun to have to defend your project by surprise

05 May 2013
Hello, I just wanted to condense some of my things into a status update.

CONCEPT NAME: Blaster X HD
COMPANY: 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)

CATEGORY: Games (mobile)
Blaster X HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blaster-x-hd/id615851024?mt=8

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Blaster X HD is created by 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games) and is available for all generations of the iPad and iPad Mini. Blaster X HD is an arcade action-puzzler that emphasizes on reflexes, hand-eye coordination, logic/puzzle and other functions. You basically play using your Blaster, a floating sphere-like object, that gets its energy from the power orbs scattered throughout the level. The object is to blast through these power orbs in as few Direct Flings as possible - resulting in a higher star ranking. Each World has different elements/attributes that make it unique from the rest...see if you can conquer all 400+ Levels!

Gameplay Elements: (Taken from our AppStore description)
Launch your Blaster by pulling your finger back and let it fly! Manipulate and guide your Blaster, as you blast your way through the Orbs to clear each level! Absorb the Orbsí energy, as that is the power source for your Blaster - so grab them all!
(Non-violent gameplay, suitable for all ages.)

Features:
1.) Over 400 Levels of Mental Addiction.
2.) 9 Diverse Worlds, with over 200+ Unique Layouts.
3.) Fluid Control System for more Innovative Gameplay/Mechanics.
4.) High Resolution HD Graphics.
5.) Created for all generations of iPad and iPad Mini.
6.) 100% Independent - no publisher, no funding, just all on our own

Additional Media: (kept as links for screen space)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20604947/BlasterXHD/BlasterXHD2GMG_ScreenShot_A.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20604947/BlasterXHD/BlasterXHD2GMG_ScreenShot_B.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20604947/BlasterXHD/BlasterXHD2GMG_ScreenShot_C.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20604947/BlasterXHD/BlasterXHD2GMG_ScreenShot_D.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20604947/BlasterXHD/BlasterXHD2GMG_ScreenShot_E.png

Blaster X HD Trailer (Teaser Trailer at the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-zg0m_EE8

Blaster X HD: The Worlds (Gameplay Footage - Montage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shML-DNUD48

Blaster X HD: Gameplay Footage (Horizon/District)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_DBIIV08g

STATUS NUMBER: 4

TEAM MEMBERS: 2
Rudy Gjurkovic
Joshua Chapman

START DATE: End of 2010
COMPLETION DATE: 5-1-2013 (released)

WHAT WENT RIGHT:
We put together a smaller gameplay footage video showcasing some aspects to our game. The footage mainly shows gameplay from the Worlds of Horizon and District.

I am also continuing to push through my log of outlets/reviewers/forums to get Blaster X HD exposed as much as possible. I continue to add to this list almost as much as I knock-off, as there seems to be a plethora of networking possibilities.

As a result of diligently pushing our game I was able to get a contact at Kotaku, a major outlet for gaming news and more. Kotaku actually gave us a feature/mention as a recommended game to be played for the week, being mentioned along with Zynga's Running with Friends and some other games - helps with the exposure.

In addition, Blaster X HD just received a near-flawless review from TechnologyTell and also a great recommendation from Appolicious. These were also great to get, especially the review as it detailed our game indepth.

WHAT WENT WRONG
We continue to find visibility to be an issue, but I remain optimistic in that I hope these previous reviews/recommendations will spur some more reviews and eventually help Blaster X HD become more in the public eye. Time will tell.

SHOW AND TELL:

Kotaku Feature: http://kotaku.com/your-weekend-is-going-to-be-horrible-bring-some-gaming-500507250

TechnologyTell: http://www.technologytell.com/apple/116685/appidemic-blaster-x-hd-for-ipad/

Appolicious: http://www.appolicious.com/tech/articles/13480-new-iphone-apps-worth-downloading-pling-dampa-s-boat-an-alaskan-adventure-blaster-x-hd

Gameplay Video for Blaster X HD (Horizon/District)

Thanks,
Rudy

Blaster X HD: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blaster-x-hd/id615851024?mt=8

www.facebook.com/2GMGames
www.twitter.com/2GMGames
2GMG on Twitter

Last edited by Rez007 : 05 May 2013 at 10:02 PM.

05 May 2013
CONCEPT NAME: NeverEndingPrincessStory
CATEGORY: Animation
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Harry Potter meets Dallas. Find your One True Love
STATUS NUMBER: 1 + contractors
TEAM MEMBERS: Chris Cowan
START DATE June 2010
ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE : NeverEnding
WIP THREAD: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neve...ry/210744261421
WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK: I got a subscription to a template website !free plug! http://templatesmint.com ; something I had been looking at doing for awhile. Now that I have the Creative Cloud I have the proper software to edit these templates and I have used their stuff in the past. The catchphrase these days is "responsive". Shows nice on all devices, screens. This will help me (hopefully..) rapidly move forward in this area.

I also got some more financing and see a few more rendernodes (AMD quad cores) in my future as the consensus seems to be render quality sucks. So this should be addressed shortly. But right now more rainy days = more 3d art production.

I sent a "script" to a guy in England who will do the some voicework. I will wait and see what happens on this; it should make the next "snippet" slightly more interesting and polished.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Since it SNOWED up here in Mont Tremblant on Monday I took any chance Tues-Sat to cut some rocks. Winter's coming already! It can snow here in October, so let's get crackin'! But now I am in "production mode" and have worked out most of the slowdowns and it will go pretty fast from here I think. I think it's kind of a metaphor for how I roll. Inconceivably huge project broken down into tiny pieces; work most would think too boring and repetitive. But hopefully the RESULT will be "one of a kind; custom" and worth the effort. Get a couple of these huge projects running and spend some time on each; always moving forward.

SHOW AND TELL:

Here's the script that I released to the voiceover artist:

Wizard

1. Why... hello Gary
2. Is that you in there?
3. Nice to see you again (chuckle; laugh) ha ha
4. Hello boy (addressing X; main character/guard)
5. Donít be alarmed
6. Iím not even here, Iím just a figment of your imagination
7. Somethings happened
8. Something big - and Iím just taking a walk around, seeing whatís happening.
9. And of course my first stop would be the bank.
10. Lucky for us this all happened while heís behind a charmed door. (Thinking..)
11. And your partner, Captain Sterling ?
12. Iím sorry for your loss. He served the King well and will be remembered for his service.
13. Isnít this your first day on the job?
14. Nice first day (smiling)
15. Woah!...(surprised)
16. Seems you snuck up on me there, boy... (sees a sword in his gut...)
17. Thatís gotta hurt..
18. Oh wait, it doesnít ! (funny, smiling...)
19. Like I said, Iím just a figment of your imagination...(cut scene to him sitting meditating on a bed)
20. Donít worry, reinforcements will be here soon, just hang in there.
21. And Iíll see YOU later Gary...

We went back and forth a bit for a little "direction"; but I am reasonably confident I will receive and audio file that meets my needs. Perhaps he is just someone "shopping" me - it happens all the time. So that's why I am posting this here; if anyone would want to do character voices this is the type of stuff I am looking for and the material you would receive from a crappy "client" like me. I would be willing to pay $50 USD for this type of work for example; work for hire. If Neps got really popular I would pay 500$. Exteeemly popular? 5000. I like multiples of 10.

As I mentioned before I am looking for sponsors to move this forward; put more resources behind this project. If you represent a major brand in Technology, Hotels, Retail, etc. let me help you connect with new customers globally; primarily women 24-45. Go direct and don't waste your money on newspaper ads. Let's establish a long-term relationship that delivers you targeted impressions for pennies. I am quite confident I can deliver.

Why am I trying to go "direct"? I am a Canadian who lives in Quebec so Kickstarter is not an option unless I register to do business in the US (which I'm considering but once again this is just another expense). Based solely on my first and last name government funding is pretty much not an option in Quebec. Venture capital in Canada? Not so much. I kind of feel like I'm "from" the Internet, and so I am forced to plead my case on boards like this; and that is why I am here.

I don't really want to comment on the other projects right now but will make another post shortly on this. I realize I have to critique to take part in this and I am up for this but want to review all the material first.

Have a great weekend y'all...

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread