CGTalk > Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Huntsville, USA
Sketching people

I've been reading Micahel Hampton's book on figure drawing for the past couple of weeks and I want to train or better myself to sketch out people like the book says. it would also help me with basic shapes/skeletons for my overall figure when i get that far. I was thinking since I'm in college I could try to sketch out the people on campus with my free time. Problem is I don't know exactly what I'm trying to teach myself doing this practice. Would someone help me grasp a better understanding of this.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
CGTalk Forum Leader
Alex Jefferies
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom
Just start

Don't worry too much about what you're trying to teach yourself at first, just keep doodling people. It's quite difficult to capture people/movement quickly and is a more an exercise in reducing a subject down to gesture and a few lines.

It will be a refreshing contrast to performing the more cerebral task of learning and identifying anatomical forms with the added bonus that each approach will inform the other
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Mark Conrad
You are teaching your self how to capture the human pose at a glance which is a great way to train your eyes and brain to pick out poses based on movement that you are trying to convey. Lets face it how many times are you drawing and want to do that once pose and next thing you now your running into your bathroom making the pose to see what it looks like?

Anatomy is always a important lesson but like anything you need to understand movement before you can add anatomy to your drawing so totally do this

Also here is a great site to practices when your stuck in front of a computer like me all day at work:
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Huntsville, USA
Now, I finished Figure Drawing and i've moved on to Sketching People by Jeff Mellem to try and grasp a better understanding of gesture drawing and fleshing it out, but I can't seem to... develop or read the way he does it or should be done. In Full Sail I was told all I needed was sticks or basic shapes, but I like a fluid or more solid looking gesture. Something that doesn't look like I scratched all over the page, but still just as quick and simple enough for me to develop later. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this? I've always been the type to read about how to do something instead of practicing it to it's fullest. grah..
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread