Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
aflovin
portfolio
Sweden

Vfx, comments and questions for Bachelor thesis

Hi!

Iím currently writing my Bachelor thesis for my final year studying Film and TV-production. Iím doing a research comparing the two powerful compositing programs, After Effects (CS6) and NukeX (7v09).

To give the research and my conclusions more substance I would really appreciate a couple of quick answers from the vfx-community.

My study is in short about which of the mentioned programs generates the highest amount of production value in a specific workflow.

My questions:

Which user-interface of the mentioned programs (ae cs6, nukex 7,09) do you prefer?
Why?

From 3d-tracking to final render, which workflow for integrating a rendered 3d-objekt (from 3ds max) with several passes (direct, indirect, specular, reflection, rgb-mattes, velocity-pass etc) into live-action footage do you prefer?
Why?

Are there any technical issues which slow down or has negative effects on the mentioned workflow?

Optinal:

Your Job-title.

Other related experience.

(I hope this isn't considered crowdsourcing. Not familiar with the term since English isn't my native language. Did a quick google-search but the translations were vague).

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Are you going for a BS or a BA? To be honest, your topic seems a little shallow and subjective. Could you maybe provide a little more info about your assignment? Do you have to poll people about a certain topic, analyze those numbers, and arrive at a certain "which program is best" conclusion? If so, you might want to better define your scenario, and provide some kind of way to numerically compare the two programs performance in that scenario.

-AJ

Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
aflovin
portfolio
Sweden

I'm going for a BA.
The subject maybe appears shallow or subjective when described in only one sentence.
But, I am very careful defining the reseach and its content.

My method contains a couple of theories and procedures to answer my research question (Human - computer interaction, Lucienne T.M. Blessing and Amaresh Chakrabartis Reference modell, Ingar Brincks definition of Creativity - a concept to messure the "Creative Space" and so on).

The purpose of this post was only to give my research and my conclusions more substance. Perhaps some good quotes to verify my outcome. Not to go over my work. The academic research has already been done

Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
aflovin
portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

Are you going for a BS or a BA? To be honest, your topic seems a little shallow and subjective. Could you maybe provide a little more info about your assignment? Do you have to poll people about a certain topic, analyze those numbers, and arrive at a certain "which program is best" conclusion? If so, you might want to better define your scenario, and provide some kind of way to numerically compare the two programs performance in that scenario.

-AJ

I'm going for a BA.
The subject maybe appears shallow or subjective when described in only one sentence.
But, I am very careful defining the reseach and its content.

My method contains a couple of theories and procedures to answer my research question (Human - computer interaction, Lucienne T.M. Blessing and Amaresh Chakrabartis Reference modell, Ingar Brincks definition of Creativity - a concept to messure the "Creative Space" and so on).

The purpose of this post was only to give my research and my conclusions more substance. Perhaps some good quotes to verify my outcome. Not to go over my work. The academic research has already been done

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
aflovin
portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

-AJ

I'm going for a BA.

But, I am very careful defining the research and its content.

My method contains a couple of theories and procedures to answer my research question (Human - computer interaction, Lucienne T.M. Blessing and Amaresh Chakrabartis Reference model, Ingar Brincks definition of Creativity - a concept to measure the "Creative Space" and so on).

Last edited by aflovin : 11-07-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

You're comparing apples and oranges, pray whoever reviews the thesis has very little clue about compositing
Nuke is the de facto standard in high end compositing for film and animation, with a toolset and a depth that completely annihilates AFX for those tasks.

AFX barely qualifies as compositing in a lot of people's views, but it's a cheaper, heavily mograph slanted, very popular, plug-in heavy and rather linearly operating, layer based app with extremely simple (poor) colour management and no Linux support.

If you do things like plate integration like we do for film VFX in AFX it's usually because Nuke isn't available or you can't be arsed learning it.

This is not to say AFX is bad, it's not and lots of people squeeze miracles out of it, not to mention that there's more than a field out there where the linear and edit-y nature of it and the massive amount of pre-canned effects and plugins shines. But your question indicate a strong bias toward film VFX comp, and nobody half serious uses AFX for that unless they end up locked into having to through circumstance.

You also indicate a comp model that while not quite outdated, is fairly simplistic.
With the prominence of PBL rendering these days passes in relation to comp don't QUITE work like that, and giving up on NukeX tracking, denoise and all the commodities it has for temporal noise and firefly suppression to work in AFX would probably qualify you as certifiably insane.

All in all I agree with AJ it seems a rather shallow and subjective premise, not to mention it would be practically inconclusive unless you are working on a pure statistics and market point of view.

Oh, and don't worry, this isn't crowd sourcing. It is on the edge of app VS app, but we'll see how that'll turn out

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 11-07-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Expanding on what Raff wrote, only in the exact opposite direction (I have no film experiance), Nuke would be your tool of choice in the scenario you defined. AE and Nuke are totally different tools meant for different things.

AE is great for putting together motion graphics pieces and doing simple post work. With all the additional built in features, you can create content from scratch. It works great on a Mac with FCP, ProRes and Compressor. When you have to start and finish a project in under a day, its a great set of tools. I've never seen Nuke used in a small, under 10 person studio before. (I've also never worked at a studio bigger than that. )

Maybe you can assemble a large demo scene in Nuke and AE, and see how they both compare with setup time, rendering speed, and crash frequency?

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread