Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
dudeman38
Awesome
portfolio
Dudeman
3D Generalist/VFX Artist
Australia

deformers put seams in fractal displacement

A cube is 2 divisons wide, 2 high, 12 long, in a lattice with 3, 3, 13 to match.
The cube has a flare deformer, most of the attributes animated.

The lattice, originally deformed into what looks like the start of a spiral at the end, has a blendshape to make it slightly less of a spiral for the final shape.

The cube's position is animated to move into the lattice to get to the end position while the blendshape and flare animate with it.

Because the vertex outside of the lattice now jump to the cube's original position (the setup had to be duplicated, rotated, repositioned for 2 others as a part of the animation), I created clusters, at their final position in the lattice, for each loop that starts off outside of the lattice, in order to keyframe them in place on their first frame in the lattice, then to go back a frame move them roughly into the right position again on their last frame outside the lattice, in order to remove any strechy streams of polygons.. these transitions are out of shot, the clusters were just needed to make that so.

Now when shading this, I want to use a volume noise texture to animate displacement, to make this gel-like substance ripple like a liquid as it moves.. however, when I test displacement, no matter what attributes I change, even if I change the noise for a fractal, the displacement renders low resolution on most of the object, except for these strange seams, that appear to randomly snake over it like veins, where the displacement is a high resolution on in the direction the seam is flowing, though not not across the width of these streams. Really weird.

I've tried creating a texture reference model of it as the cube without the lattice, tried changing every attribute of the displacement node and of the model's displacement section to no avail.

The displacement node is connected through an misss_set_normal node to the Displacement attribute of the mia_material_x's shading engine.

All I want is evenly distributed displacement over this model, and don't want to resort to stretching UVs over a 2D texture.. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Tony

[Edit: I tried having a web shaped UV so that there wouldn't be any seams on a 2D texture, and used implosion on a 2D Noise to try and re-balance it to prevent it going streaked.. to my shock and horror, those seams, present with 3D texture placement, are there with 2D textures as well!]

Last edited by dudeman38 : 05-10-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread