reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #226
eodeo
random acts of kindness

Petar Stamenkovic
Novi Sad, Yugoslavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erka2
3ds max needs another Steve Jobs, not the Tom Hudson.

Steve did everything he could to slow down and sabotage development of realtime 3d. His ideology is responsible for the poor condition Mac pro line has found themselves in the last decade. Ever since they switched to Intel CPUs, Macs had great computing powers with extremely limed GPU capabilities. Mac pros have been using 2-year-old-barely-midrange-in-their-time GPUs for a very long time now- when you buy the latest and greatest (read most expensive) Mac pro- you'll get the mentioned 2-year old midrange GPU- if you're lucky.

To matters worse, OpenGL is still dependant on "professional" cards to work without the artificial limitations and any hope of a Mac user to do 3d is hindered at every turn. It is both extremely costly in both money, and then productivity limitation that OpenGL imposes even when not artificially limited. Khronos group did an admirable job, but at best, they are playing catch up to DX and Apple did less than nothing to help.

Jobs was a great man and a visionary to be sure, but 3d just wasn't his forte. In short, I wouldn't let Steve Jobs come in a 10 mile radius of my Max. Not that he would want to, anyway. He clearly had no love for 3d and Cook is following in those footsteps. Jobs may have liked the cartoons, but he showed no appreciation for what goes into making one.

Ideas drift like petals on the wind. You need only to lift your face to the breeze.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #227
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodeo
He clearly had no love for 3d...

I'm pretty confident that John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, etc would vehemently disagree with you on that.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #228
eodeo
random acts of kindness

Petar Stamenkovic
Novi Sad, Yugoslavia

Maybe you are right. I may be misinterpreting the facts. It may be that Jobs loved 3d, but just wanted his users to have an appalling experience with anything to do with 3d.

Ideas drift like petals on the wind. You need only to lift your face to the breeze.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #229
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
Fresh blood helps...

I would also recommend Nvidia to reconsider putting Michael Kaplan to the steering wheels of Mental Ray
I don't really know actually what's his role in the production of Mental Ray or whether or not has he any part in the develepment of that software anymore.

I just wanted to say that Mental Ray has been a mess also since 2007, which is the year I got married and unintentionally blamed my marriage for some time for not being able to reach deadlines.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #230
Kzin
Expert

portfolio
Holger Tesch
Shading/Lighting Artist
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Kzin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byteman3D

I just wanted to say that Mental Ray has been a mess also since 2007...

that explains your strange comment. you should wait what is coming.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #231
Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
By the way am I dreaming or 2015 beta viewport is distinguishably responsive?

I've opened an ongoing project which was very heavy and the astonishing performance gain forced me to think some of the models are erased. 400 mb file with 1500 proxy trees can be navigated without a single pause which used to be in select and drink coffee mode in Max 2014.

Rendering is somehow slower than on 2014 with the same scenes. (This is a scene with a lattice of 8x8x8 raytraced spheres rendering in 66 secs on 2014 but 77 secs. on 2015.)

reply share thread