Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Multiple Objects Map Placements?

Hey all,

Lets say I am mapping a landing gear of an airplane. All the struts will be on one texture. Is it possible to map and log all the parts onto a texture map without joining the parts together? If the parts are already split apart, how could one map the parts onto a texture?

My norm workflow in Gmax would be one at a time, screenshots, compiling the screenshots into stacks (layers) in a texture. My 'hopes' are that 3DS Max (2012) can do this without all the texture snaps, like perhaps render to texture can do this, but can it do this with multiple objects?

I dug through YouTube looking for somthing on multiple objects mapping in 3DS Max, but found nothing.

Can you 'build up' a Render Template with multiple add-on mesh placements? Like continuously add onto the texture? Or do you still have to do all of this in Photoshop?

Many thanks for any input.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

You can select multiple objects and apply UVUnwrap.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
lionhart
Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Very cool.

One amazing program.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
robinb
Expert

GMax is Ooooold. it's based on Max 4, so most things have been quite seriously improved since then. UVUnwrap has definitely been improved. Then broken again. But still far advanced from what was there in 4.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
lionhart
Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
GMax is Ooooold. it's based on Max 4, so most things have been quite seriously improved since then. UVUnwrap has definitely been improved. Then broken again. But still far advanced from what was there in 4.

Roger that, Robin. I cant believe all the mapping tools. I havent been able to get Pelt to work right yet on anything, but hoping I will. I can really use that on the pilot figures.

I am not seeing how multiple objects in a UV map can work. If I have 10 parts, for instance, how would I know where they all sit in a UVW layout, each time I open a new part? The others disappear when I open a new part. Is there a way to render a template of existing parts that inhabit a material?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
lionhart
Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Ok, I got it working. GandHics was right. I just didnt have the equasion right.

For those wondering, here is how it goes:
* Map your parts (first) setting up their UVW's, seams, etc, fully unwrapped, Stacks collapsed.
* Select all the parts you want on a single UVW sheet or template. Apply a Unwrap UVW from the Flyout (with all those parts selected).
* Click the Edit button to bring up the UVW Window

Here, you should see all of the various UVW Mesh of all the parts. Rearrange them until you are happy, click Tools/Render a Template, save that, then collapse the stacks (with all parts already selected) and Voila, all of your parts are now mapped onto a single UVW.

Note, you need these to also have the same Material(s) as they will share the same textures mapped to them.

Bill

Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread