Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
jamiefmartin
Frequenter

portfolio
Jamie Martin
Concept Designer
South West London, United Kingdom

HyperNurbs - finessing & optimising - advice please?

I'm returning to doing some more intense modelling in C4D after having a bit of a break from it, and, whilst I'm in the 'warming up' phase, I wanted to ask for people's advice on the optimal ways to go about HyperNurbs modelling.

I use HyperNurbs for all of my modelling (I feel that virtually everything looks more real with a rounded edge - even a very subtle one), and try and keep my meshes as clean and simple as possible (letting HyperNurbs do all of the hard work). But, I wonder if I'm going about building my meshes in a less than optimal way, and perhaps some of you C4D genius' could point me in a better, more time-effective method?

I've attached an image to illustrate my thoughts. In this example I want to create the 'L' shaped object with subtle rounded edges. I don't want to use extruding from a spline with bevelled edges etc, as I want to have complete control over the mesh within a HyperNurbs wrapper (as I will be further developing this 'L' shape and adding more details to the mesh).

Version 1: The basic shape - no tweaking to optimise the edges for use in a HyperNurbs object. The resulting HyperNurbs smoothing is not what I want.

Version 2: Selecting all of the faces of Version 1 and using the bevel tool. The results when putting it in a HyperNurbs object are closer, but not what I want.

Version 3: One of my current solutions to creating the desired look when the mesh is placed inside a HyperNurbs object. My method: I've manually used the knife tool to slice horizontally and vertically along all of the edges to create a small radius to the edges when HyperNurb-ed.

But is there a quicker, better, more efficient way of doing this that I have missed or forgotten? Perhaps an alternative way of bevelling the basic shape that will result in the HyperNurb-ed object shown in Version 3? How would you go about creating the object in Version 3? I'd love to hear your pointers.

Big thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HyperNurbs.jpg (28.4 KB, 92 views)

Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
theglenster
Maxon C4D

portfolio
Glen Johnson
3D Content Creator
MAXON Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

number 3 is almost there, but not the way i would do it.
if you look at the hypernurbs mesh for number 3 you can see some very thin triangles and a messy mesh which could cause problems with texturing. they are being created because you have a large ngon pulling on that corner.

for this i would use solidchamfer it has a function exactly for this, it gives you the correct subdivision automaticly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-11_1339.jpg (90.8 KB, 91 views)

Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
jamiefmartin
Frequenter

portfolio
Jamie Martin
Concept Designer

Thanks theglenster. I wasn't aware of SolidChamfer. I'm running R11.5, and the plugin doesn't seem to be compatible with my C4D. If that's the case, I guess I'll just be stuck with continuing to slice up meshes with the knife tool (set to 'loop').

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
prixat
PRO

Prixat
3D & Websites
Croydon, United Kingdom

Smile

It looks like you just need to make a few more cuts in your shape.

With a shape as simple as the L you can match the cuts from the plugin exactly.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Filip
PRO
Filip Malmberg
Uppsala, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefmartin
Thanks theglenster. I wasn't aware of SolidChamfer. I'm running R11.5, and the plugin doesn't seem to be compatible with my C4D. If that's the case, I guess I'll just be stuck with continuing to slice up meshes with the knife tool (set to 'loop').

Hi Jamie,

SolidChamfer works with R11 on Windows, but we dropped R11.x support on OS X with version 2.1 for technical reasons. Version 2.0, however, worked with R11 on Mac as well, and covers the functionality you describe in this thread. If you are interested in trying/buying version 2.0, just send me an email (pfmalmberg at gmail dot com).

Best regards
/Filip Malmberg (SolidChamfer developer)

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
jamiefmartin
Frequenter

portfolio
Jamie Martin
Concept Designer

prixat - Yes, true. I was showing it in this unfinished state because (whether right or wrong) I try and keep the mesh as simple as I can whilst developing the form, as I'll invariably revise or add additional detail to it as I go. i find that if I keep the vertices and edges as minimal as possible at the early stage (ie leaving many unconnected), it means I can do my tweaks/revisions much more easily, and then connect everything up at the end. As I've said, it might not be the best way, but it's how I currently work. If anyone has advice on a more efficient solution, please shout.

The main reason for my post was to find out if there is a 'trick' I've missed, that would make the process of creating the 'L' shape with subtle rounded edges (when placed in a HyperNurbs object) easier and more time-efficient? At present my personal method is, for example, to many of the sufaces outwards slightly (creating the extra line of polys at the edges), and then use the knife (set to 'loop') to finish off adding the cuts to the rest of the inner edges. Maybe there is a better way (other than a plugin)?

Filip - Thanks for the info. I'll drop you an email now.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
typografschaft
Know-it-All
portfolio
Yader
Art Director, Motion Designer
Berlin, Germany

Here's another way for getting those cuts into the geometry,
it utilizes Ring Selections and Edge Cuts.
Here's a screengrab with the steps involved:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28253825/EdgeCut.mov (5MB)

Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
wesware
what the?...

portfolio
Wes Ware
Wes Ware Creative
Nashville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by typografschaft
Here's another way for getting those cuts into the geometry,
it utilizes Ring Selections and Edge Cuts.
Here's a screengrab with the steps involved:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28253825/EdgeCut.mov (5MB)

Nice tip!... never even saw the scale option there :O

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
jamiefmartin
Frequenter

portfolio
Jamie Martin
Concept Designer

typografschaft - now that's a neat little trick. I hadn't seen that feature either. I'll definitely give it a go.

Thanks for the video - very useful.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread