My Very Own Toon Doppelgänger, Francisco Morales (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
My Very Own Toon Doppelgänger, Francisco Morales (3D)

Title: My Very Own Toon Doppelgänger
Name: Francisco Morales
Software: Maya, Photoshop

This is quite a different style for me to work, inspired somewhat by AndyH's Bunny Girl, I was trying to create a minimalistic cartoon version of myself, but at some point started to add more detail and decided to go for a smoother look. Shading is done with different color versions of the same Toon shader, no Textures involved.
Comments and Critics welcomed and appreciated.

12 December 2009
nice work, I think the eyes could use a texture map, it will bring more life to this render

12 December 2009
Thumbs up

Hey Far, thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

12 December 2009
That cartoon character looks nice, the proportions are well fitted for a character of that type. And I will second what Far said, it would add to the personnality of your character if his eyes had a texture, maybe also putting the eyes more in the skull, so he could have eyelids could have even more personality. Anyway good work! (and btw thanks for the comment on my work!).

12 December 2009
I like it and i agree with the suggestions mentioned above.

Keep up the good work!

Einstein Building

12 December 2009
de pinga!

cool looking character, love the detail in the hands.

saludos

12 December 2009
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone, your comments show something I wasn't expecting but should have, like I mentioned in the opening post I was going for a minimalistic look, that meant sinthetizing my face into its most simple features, hence, no mouth nor eyes per se but moustaches and Eyeglasses to suggest the presence of this features. Now I can see that after pumping up the detail elsewhere this characteristic becomes harder to read on a first glance. Nice lesson to be learned there I guess. Thanks again for all the comments!

12 December 2009
Cool

Nice and unique style...Congrats!

12 December 2009
I like it. I don't think he needs eyes (though it would add more life) But I do believe you need give the eyeglasses some sort of texture. Until you wrote it was eyeglasses I didn't really know what it was. Otherwise nice job.

12 December 2009
Thumbs up

@machadoJ: Thanks! Muito Obrigado

@Hordak: Thanks, I've wondered if an eyeglass rim of some sort would help, but decided against using one as it would clutter the face a little too much. Maybe adding just the middle part and a different texture to the glass as many have suggested will do the trick, thanks for your suggestions.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by Feeank: @machadoJ: Thanks! Muito Obrigado

@Hordak: Thanks, I've wondered if an eyeglass rim of some sort would help, but decided against using one as it would clutter the face a little too much. Maybe adding just the middle part and a different texture to the glass as many have suggested will do the trick, thanks for your suggestions.

Good job. I think a bit of work on the glass material, plus maybe a flatter less sphere like look will do the trick. Like you say, adding the frame just over the nose can make it more readable.

08 August 2010
Originally Posted by luispages: Good job. I think a bit of work on the glass material, plus maybe a flatter less sphere like look will do the trick. Like you say, adding the frame just over the nose can make it more readable.

Thanks a lot Luis, I haven't gone back to this character yet but I may do so in the future just to get the "splinter" out, sort of speak. Thanks again for the feedback.

08 August 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread