Copying Modifiers in Track View

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Copying Modifiers in Track View

Hey there

I also posted this in Area and didn't get any responses, so I thought people here might be more willing to help, anyways, I'd like to know why one is not able to copy multiple modifiers inside of curve editor's track view (Is there a technical reason behind this, or could it be that the devs just forgot about implementing this, or is it just a bug), and in general is there a simple way to instance multiple modifiers to a bunch of objects in the scene?

Max 2014

05 May 2013
Well.. you can copy/paste modifier in modifier stack.
I dont see any advantage of doing this in TrackView.

05 May 2013
Thanks for the reply, but that didn't really answer my question, yes I know we can copy/paste them in the stack, but can you copy/paste/instance them over a selection of multiple objects in the stack, the menu to paste them just doesn't appear when you have multiple objects selected, and you can't do that through drag and drop either, you can on the other hand paste over multiple objects in the track view, but for some reason(which is actually what I want to know here), you can't copy multiple modifiers in the track view...

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Rudiam: Thanks for the reply, but that didn't really answer my question, yes I know we can copy/paste them in the stack, but can you copy/paste/instance them over a selection of multiple objects in the stack, the menu to paste them just doesn't appear when you have multiple objects selected, and you can't do that through drag and drop either, you can on the other hand paste over multiple objects in the track view, but for some reason(which is actually what I want to know here), you can't copy multiple modifiers in the track view...

The answer would be TrackView was never designed to do that job.

If you just want to add an instanced modifier at the top of stack on multiple object, you can select multiple object and apply a new modifier. Then all the modifiers are instamced.

If you want to paste the modifier in the middle of stack, it has to be a scripted solution.

05 May 2013
One of the things I've come to learn about working in Max is that a lot of times you achieve things through using tools that were not conceived to do that particular thing, and in this case yes I know track view is meant to be mostly a animation management tool(I use controllers on a daily bases), but you have the modifiers in there and you can copy/paste them to other objects, so the functionality is there, and it would be exactly what I was looking for to solve this problem if only you could as well as pasting, copy multiple modifiers, and yet in a weird way this very useful functionality has been implemented incompletely, and again, that's what I want to know, why?

PS: And yes, I know you can select multiple objects and then assign them the modifiers so it instanced between them, but there are times that you already have a stack of tweaked mods that you want to instance between a large number of objects, and hence this thread.

Last edited by Rudiam : 05 May 2013 at 08:26 PM.

05 May 2013
I have to do some testing, but i am pretty sure, that you can assign transforming nodes to multiple objects in "schematic view"!

05 May 2013
In Schematic View you can only link one set of stack/controller to another object, you can't do multiple linking or copy/pasting, unless I've missed something in there...

05 May 2013
There's also the drag&drop a modifier from the stack rollout into the viewport onto an object mechanism. Instancing is with Ctrl pressed as far i remember.
But i think you can't actually Drag&Drop onto multiple objects this way (a work arround would be grouping them and drag&drop onto that group ), but at least it's faster than RMB->Copy and Paste

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

05 May 2013
Actually drag and drop on a group is the only method that has worked for me so far, as I said the right-click menu doesn't even appear when you have multiple objects selected(at least for me it doesn't, which is again bewildering to me)...

So, I think I'm gonna report this on the SAT site, unless there's a technical reason behind this, in which case I'd be more than delighted to know.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread