Character Rigging: T-Pose Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by pit: The loops are set up nicely for deformation/articulation in that mesh.
I think what hsrdelic meant, was that meshes for sculpting do not benefit from edge loops set up for articulation. For sculpting uniformity is important - nothing else. Edge loops, like the ones shown in your mesh, will/can be troublesome while sculpting, as the poles will pinch when subdivided. Almost impossible to smooth out. So to conclude, uniformity and edge flow is important for rigging - sculpting is better off with uniformity alone in the base mesh. You can always set up the loops for articulation later when retopologizing.


Proper loops can help sculpting too, especially when you are using something that is geared towards detailing, like the sculpt tools inside CINEMA.
Sculpting across polys that do not follow the flow of the shape you want is problematic...so the underlying geometry is important.

Also, I think the "keep it as low poly as possible" is a myth spread by TDs that don't want to paint weights for days on end.
__________________
The views expressed in this post are by no means the opinion of those making the post or of any one person in particular.
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by chi: Also, I think the "keep it as low poly as possible" is a myth spread by TDs that don't want to paint weights for days on end.


A nice trick if you have access to both a low and medium res version of a mesh is to paint the weights on the low poly one and then transfer the weights to the higher poly one (copy weights tool in Maya/VAMP in Cinema). This can often give you surprisingly decent results and saves a lot of time in some cases. Generally then you just have to finesse a few critical areas by hand to get the rest of the way there.

Cheers,
Brian
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Horganovski: A nice trick if you have access to both a low and medium res version of a mesh is to paint the weights on the low poly one and then transfer the weights to the higher poly one (copy weights tool in Maya/VAMP in Cinema). This can often give you surprisingly decent results and saves a lot of time in some cases. Generally then you just have to finesse a few critical areas by hand to get the rest of the way there.

Cheers,
Brian


yup. or use the loop, loop, fill method (good polyflow rears it's ugly head )
__________________
The views expressed in this post are by no means the opinion of those making the post or of any one person in particular.
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by chi: Proper loops can help sculpting too, especially when you are using something that is geared towards detailing, like the sculpt tools inside CINEMA.
Sculpting across polys that do not follow the flow of the shape you want is problematic...so the underlying geometry is important.


True. I "talk" about this workflow for sculpting: simple base mesh -> sculpt -> retopo -> detailing -> map baking. As you can see detailing is after retopo and is what you refer to. A simple, blocked out base mesh will be a much smarter start for a sculpt than a detailed mesh with proper edge loops. When subdividing such a mesh, youŽll get dense areas of polys instead of evenly distributed polys. Normally the face and hands of a character. Plus the poles that are/can be pinching. As mentioned, the proper edge flow comes in to play when retopologizing, and will always be important.
 
  12 December 2012
^ One of the reasons I love Polypaint in ZBrush is that you can paint on one version of a mesh and then transfer that to a completely different version, with different UVs. Gives the best of both worlds as you can sculpt/paint on the 'sculpt' mesh and transfer those details to the 'rig' mesh, in fact you don't even need to have UVs on the sculpt mesh before you start painting.

I guess we've gone right off topic at this stage, but hopefully there's still some useful stuff in this thread for someone

Cheers,
Brian
 
  12 December 2012
Yeah... sorry for OTŽing the thread
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by pit: True. I "talk" about this workflow for sculpting: simple base mesh -> sculpt -> retopo -> detailing -> map baking. As you can see detailing is after retopo and is what you refer to. A simple, blocked out base mesh will be a much smarter start for a sculpt than a detailed mesh with proper edge loops. When subdividing such a mesh, youŽll get dense areas of polys instead of evenly distributed polys. Normally the face and hands of a character. Plus the poles that are/can be pinching. As mentioned, the proper edge flow comes in to play when retopologizing, and will always be important.


I am very familiar with sculpting workflows, I would say I first got into them around 2001-2 when ZB started to creep onto the scene and I know that giving myself the suggestion of a loops for the eyes, mouth and ears of a face will save me more headaches sculpting than trying to go from a straight "evenly divided cube" So proper poly flow can be important even in the base mesh.

ZB spoils people now...and they don't realize that a little planning at first can save a lot of trouble down the road.
__________________
The views expressed in this post are by no means the opinion of those making the post or of any one person in particular.
 
  12 December 2012
I wasnŽt trying to imply that you donŽt know the workflow - sorry, if it came across like that - just wanted to "spell out" my reasoning.
 
  12 December 2012
For the point of discussion about the suitability of the base sculpting male mesh for rigging, here is what it looks like, along with what I made from it, the head seen with a HyperNurbs level 1. I thought it was a really good start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SculptMale-1.jpg (82.1 KB, 19 views)
__________________
Ernest Burden III
Acme Digital
 
  12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.