Animating a firing/reloading gun

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Question Animating a firing/reloading gun

I'm trying to animate a gun i have modelled. I have used set driven keys and parent constraints (separate) to try to get everything in place and animatable. In particular the parent constraints I've been trying for the past few days are giving me trouble. I've grouped main parts of my gun and constrained them to the group for the handle of the gun which contains the grip, switch, hammer, etc.
I want to have the magazine slot into the handle and then have the bullets load into the gun one after another after firing. I've attempted this by adding a parent constraint on the mag and the mag spring, the next bullet up constrained to the mag spring, the next bullet up constrained to the bullet below, etc.
Is there a better way of doing this or a correct way (only just learnt it) because I have the loading, cocking and firing of 1 bullet but when it comes to the recoil and having the groups of the gun parts set to 1 (as opposed to 0) constraint the groups snap to their original coordinate. When I try to move them back and key, they animate from their current place to their original coordinate that was where they were when I set up the parent constraints.
Any help into understanding how to fix this or on constraints in general would be great.
Thanks

Last edited by alannuttall : 12 December 2012 at 12:11 AM.

12 December 2012
This is a great example for the use of zvParent, it's found on creative crash, I would highly recommend it.

12 December 2012
Question

Originally Posted by Remi: This is a great example for the use of zvParent, it's found on creative crash, I would highly recommend it.

Thanks, I've checked it out and it hasn't solved my problem unfortunately. The auto snap fix tool gives the error no valid objects selected. How should I constrain the bullets? Should they be connected to each 1 below itself or all connected to the mag or spring? Also is it alright to constrain groups?

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Remi: This is a great example for the use of zvParent, it's found on creative crash, I would highly recommend it.

Had a long look at it last night and it works a treat. Thanks a lot.

12 December 2012
No problem, glad it worked for you.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread