Beautiful Bryce feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Beautiful Bryce feedback

Hello, please, I submitted my drawing to CGTalk, but the art was not accepted... (so sad)

I need help and some critique. I know I'm not so good like a professional artist, but I want comments to improve my next work.

I consider this a finished art, but I want understand the bad points.

Comment please, Thank you.

Last edited by AlexFBar : 10 October 2012 at 05:12 AM.

10 October 2012
There are obvious technical problems in your image, such as how the eyebrow hair growth is incorrect (go look in the mirror and see how the hair on brows change direction as it grows from inside to outside), or how the hair strands don't have any volume and look like flat ribbons, as well as stiff and sterile looking instead of soft like how hair should be.

The lighting is also very flat, which is not a problem, but there's no expressive or interesting brushwork in your painting, and the more graphic approach to the rendering isn't refined or graceful enough to look compelling. Basically, the execution is kind of mechanical and lacking a more artistic sensibility. Take a look at excellent portrait paintings and you'll see examples of artistic sensibility. Google images from these well-known portrait/figure painters and study their work:

John Singer Sargent
Pino
Jeremy Lipking
Daniel Gerhartz
Richard Schmid
Morgan Weistling
Susan Lyon / Scott Burdick

10 October 2012
Thank you so much Lunatique! You are right.. I need to learn more. Im trying to go to a new standard.

In my next drawings I will get better and better.

Last edited by AlexFBar : 10 October 2012 at 11:08 PM.

11 November 2012
my thoughts

nice render, proportions are good. To me the biggest problem is the flat skin tone. I have a tool I use to help fix things when a work isn't working and it's a phrase, "The bigger shape is more important than the smaller shape". In this case the details of the head are nicely rendered but the larger shapes are ignored. Think about a head as an egg, you have to paint the egg to make it look rounded and sphere like first, then paint in the details. That phrase solves most art problems.... if not all.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by tAstyBITs: nice render, proportions are good. To me the biggest problem is the flat skin tone. I have a tool I use to help fix things when a work isn't working and it's a phrase, "The bigger shape is more important than the smaller shape". In this case the details of the head are nicely rendered but the larger shapes are ignored. Think about a head as an egg, you have to paint the egg to make it look rounded and sphere like first, then paint in the details. That phrase solves most art problems.... if not all.

thank you tastybits for your comment. I'm doing other drawing and I'm giving attention just about this.
thank you so much for your time and attention. very useful your point.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread