Team Fortress 2 : The Pyro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2008
Team Fortress 2 : The Pyro

Hi, this my first character in a long time, almost a year. I'm not a hardcore player, but Team Fortress 2 caught my attention with its cartoony design while ther other productions try to get closer to realism.

Not only this game looks gorgeous, it's actually a lot of fun to play, and I got a little addicted. So much that it inspired me to make a character. The pyro. Definitly the funniest of all because of all the funny noises and taunts he makes. His weapon is owesome too, some kind of DIY flamethrower. Also it's easier to make, because there is no face.

Took me about 10 days so far, working a couple of hours every once in while. It's modeled in max 9 with Polyboost.

For references, I simply opened the game model in the Source SDK viewer, made a few screengrabs to put in max viewport, and kept the model opened all the time for direct comparison (dual screen FTW!). I know, kind of a cheat, And I could have taken it even further by importing the model directly into max, but I couldn't figure how and it would have been cheating for real then (there are some plugins for older versions of max).

I still have to add some details, finish the boots, and of course make the flame thrower
I kept the proportion close to the game model, but I want to make more realistic textures

05 May 2008
looking good, are you going to have him torching something? it would be a shame not to

05 May 2008
Wow! this is awesome, I definitely love it. Great work man!

05 May 2008
Very nice, very good likeness of course! I'm a TF2 addict myself, been playing medic alot since I got my ubersaw

05 May 2008
Originally Posted by ceql: been playing medic alot since I got my ubersaw
Yeah, medics everywhere since the upgrade. Remember before it was always "we need at least two medics, anymone?", and now it's "we don't need 8 medics"
It's the only game I have installed on my system, and I'm fine with it. I like the fact you can play for 15 minutes or 4 hours

I haven't had time to work on it this week, but I'll try to finish the modelling part this week end

Thanks for the feedback, I thought this thread was dead already

06 June 2008
heyhey ! ! enjoy the nex step ! ! sure he 'll be alive in render , like all your skill
all the best

kad

06 June 2008
Awesome! I love the pyro! the new weapons are ace ; )

Cant wait to see what you do with this! Get him into Zbrush! take it to the next level : )

06 June 2008
Yeah, please continue with the pyro! Now it's a better time than any!
Although, I have to say it's a lot harder to play spy now with enemy teams comprising mostly of trigger-happy pyros XD

06 June 2008
although im usually a demo man. i love pyro to.
its a bloody good model
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23520.html
this movie could be useful, its all about the rendering and shaders they used in team fortress 2. might be a nice reference.

06 June 2008
I like your model. You are really going into detail. Keep up the good work.

06 June 2008
I like it! Keep going with this!

06 June 2008
Hey thanks for the bumping!

Ok, so the pyro is paused right now, I'va been working on ironman this month:

as you can see, I'm almost done, just need arms. The reason it looks pixelated is because I used Brazil Rio for render, which is free but has a limited output of 1024*511 pixels. So I just flipped the camera on its side, rendered and then rotated the picture 90 degres in photoshop. But apprarently, anti-aliasing is only applied horisontalyand it doesn't look that good when you rotate it.

Any way, I think I'll finish it in a couple of weeks (yeah I'm very slow, I only work a couple of hours somtimes). And then I can go back to the pyro. I'll probalby make the new flamethrower, which exhaust is shaped like snake head

06 June 2008
awesome work man!

06 June 2008
i love the pyro ...
but the iron man is even better .. hope that you put his head inside the helmet :-)

10 October 2008
Iron man looks really nice, I love the boots.

Same with the pyro. I'd love to see him with the Axtinguisher. Theres only one part of the pyro that bugs me, the folds in the pants seem a bit off, they look like they aren't totally being affected by gravity, sort of floaty like.

Thread Closed share thread