Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
davidKatara
3D is love, 3D is life

portfolio
David Katara Gvozdenovic
Zagreb, Croatia

Lightbulb Teenager's 1st serious project - Current stage: Finshing the gramophone model

SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW STUFF

Hi guys.

My (kinda) short introduction:
I'm a 17 years old kid who's into photography, CG, music and computers. I've been on computers since I was like 4, and I've started doing CG when I was 13 in Carrara. Looking for a quick path to mastery, even though I learned a ton, I just kinda played with primitives, rendered many, many glass balls and the usual stuff. Then I got bored of that and learned the interface and all the buttons of all the major programs like 3ds max, Maya, ZBrush and Cinema 4D. After playing with many different things, I realized CG was hard and I just kinda stopped. After some time I got my first camera and fell in love with it. I'm now doing photography for 2 years and I'm really good at it. CG came back into my life few months when I ran into Marek Denko's reel on YouTube. I was blown away and figured out it really is what I want to do.
So, With a lot of knowledge about CG, art and technical stuff, I've began my quest with this project.

And here's what I'm currently working on:

I'm sorry for quality, and only 2 images, it's like 4:30AM here and I have to go to school tomorrow so for a few hours, I'll explain everything and post some more images.

All that is done by me in 3ds max and VRay.
I'm really rushing. See you guys tommorow!
Thanks to everyone who clicked
David.

PS. My photography portfolio is here in case you're interested to see my artistic skills: http://fricetix.deviantart.com/gallery

Last edited by davidKatara : 11-09-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Welcome to the forums.

A good first step to improve your render would be to turn off the depth of field.

Also, part of art is in the presentation. Saying your REALLY sorry and making an excuse after someone views your work does not endear yourself to the viewer.

-AJ

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
davidKatara
3D is love, 3D is life

portfolio
David Katara Gvozdenovic
Zagreb, Croatia

I'm going to school for 20 minutes so before I do, here's some stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

Welcome to the forums.

A good first step to improve your render would be to turn off the depth of field.

Also, part of art is in the presentation. Saying your REALLY sorry and making an excuse after someone views your work does not endear yourself to the viewer.

-AJ

Thanks for the comment. I know I should turn the DoF off and I will for the next renders, but I wanted to see how would it look in the end.

And yes, I do realize that I should've taken my time, but I just had to put this up here, I've been working on it last night, doing some texturing and I thought I should put it up here and see what do you guys think.

I'm modeling this very detailed and hi-poly because the camera will be pretty close. I have a few concepts of the scene, but I'll show you that later when I come back from school.

The big box is not fully unwrapped yet because I'll model some more detail.
Thanks.

Last edited by davidKatara : 11-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

It might also be a good idea to take a more disciplined approach to your work flow.

I would get the model locked down before you go to far with the uvs, texturing, lighting, and shading.

A good place to start would be to assign a generic grey shader to your model, and post some simple renders and wire frames. That would allow us to judge just the model.

After your model is locked down, we can move on to the next step of UVs and textures.

-AJ

Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
davidKatara
3D is love, 3D is life

portfolio
David Katara Gvozdenovic
Zagreb, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

It might also be a good idea to take a more disciplined approach to your work flow.

I would get the model locked down before you go to far with the uvs, texturing, lighting, and shading.

A good place to start would be to assign a generic grey shader to your model, and post some simple renders and wire frames. That would allow us to judge just the model.

After your model is locked down, we can move on to the next step of UVs and textures.

-AJ

Thanks for the comment again! I agree with the workflow tip, I just do what I feel like doing so when I finish the basic shape before detailing I rush into shading/texturing and other stuff. I'll stop with the texturing and focus on finishing the model and unwrapping it afterwards.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
davidKatara
3D is love, 3D is life

portfolio
David Katara Gvozdenovic
Zagreb, Croatia

IDEA BEHIND THE SHOT
The current lighting setup and environment is just for test rendering purposes. I will use this model indoors in some kind of a music room.. I still don't have the whole exact concept done, but the 'feel' of the shot and a few sketches which I might put here. The end result will be a sad, 'touching' image about love or something along those lines. I have skills to tell a story with a single still image because of my photography.

I'll render a still shot and later on a short animation with the camera flying in the scene for my reel (there are a lot more images to be created on the path to my reel, but just have in mind that I'll render maybe 100-200 frames when I have a lot more projects done)

I'm going for the hi-poly models because the camera will be close to the models and I'm making pretty hi-res textures.

Here are two screenshots of the horn on the gramophone. Don't ask my why, but I used multiple Edit Poly modifiers one after another, I can't remember why, but I had some problems and had to do it. I don't want to collapse the modifier stack because I'm still not sure about the form/shape and size of the horn.

Links to fullsize images: Screenshot, Wireframe

Wireframe:

EDIT: I don't really ask for a critique about the other parts of the model because it's all nice and cleanly modeled, I just posted the horn screenshots if you have something to say.
Also, I won't be posting too often because I don't have too much free time and when I do, I don't spend it all on working, I just relax and wander on the forums and art sites.

But I do work and I really enjoy all the modeling and doing tiny details, and I even enjoy the UV unwrapping. The whole process is awesome. Texturing is also cool, but I haven't spent much time doing it, I like working in Photoshop but we'll see how the actual texturing goes. I guess it's pretty enjoyable too because I also own the Wacom tablet and I like it

Thanks, David.

Last edited by davidKatara : 11-08-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added some info

Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I would look at a thread like this to get an idea of how to present your work for feedback.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=43&t=1079031

You've got some major problems with your model that need addressing. I'm more than happy to help, but we're going to need to get focused .

-AJ

Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
davidKatara
3D is love, 3D is life

portfolio
David Katara Gvozdenovic
Zagreb, Croatia

@AJ1 - Thanks for replying. What kind of major problems my model has? I don't see any, but I'd like to hear what do you mean by that.

OK, so here are some reference images I used.

I'm gonna model some details now and then post the results.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread