update 4

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 6 Days Ago   #31
I have no words to describe how useless these Autodesk monkeys are. Just installed U4 - they fixed a bug in U3 with the Outliner showing shading group nodes... I guess they figured the outliner was lonely without the bug... its back in U4 ffs.

The Hypershade is totally fucked. Clicking input/output connections causes all the nodes to stack on top of each other. That was a bug in 2016.5... its back too. Unusable update.

Last edited by Arcon : 6 Days Ago at 05:41 AM.

Old 6 Days Ago   #32
shading group nodes.?

Old 6 Days Ago   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
shading group nodes.?

yes, you know, the nodes that are above material nodes * They shouldn't be visible in the outliner and they can't be hidden.

but I've actually found out the real problem & solution:

U4 is not backwards compatible with U3 scenes without introducing bugs. This includes the outliner bug as well as Hypershade nodes stacking.
To fix bugs you have to import the scene into a new scene in U4. It should be noted that U4 import forces the use of namespaces, even if you deselect it... so that is one U4 feature that's broken

Old 6 Days Ago   #34
i cant see any shading group nodes here in the outliner... only the assinged materials...

Old 6 Days Ago   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
i cant see any shading group nodes here in the outliner... only the assinged materials...

It's been a common issue for a while, see here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya...ne/td-p/4245241

I haven't found any steps to reproduce it, but it's not too common so it's not that bad. I found that restarting Maya seemed to fix the problem.

The thing that annoys me is that I would actually like to see my shading groups in the outliner but I haven't worked out how to do that and I don't think there's meant to be a way.

Old 6 Days Ago   #36
oglu wrote:the desktop app should do it...*
and its in the support center yes....

Thanks a lot for the info. It's definitely not in my support center and my
work machine doesnt go online, so I guess I'll have to contact support.

Rez007 wrote:Unfortunately, if you have a Network License, i.e. "Maya with Softimage" Network License, the Desktop App will not pick it up. You have to go into your Autodesk Account to grab it there.
Network licenses no longer find anything via the Desktop App, as that
is what Autodesk told me via my support ticket.

Thanks a lot for that info as well. That's very good to know.

Cheers!

Old 6 Days Ago   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcon
I have no words to describe how useless these Autodesk monkeys are. Just installed U4 - they fixed a bug in U3 with the Outliner showing shading group nodes... I guess they figured the outliner was lonely without the bug... its back in U4 ffs.

The Hypershade is totally fucked. Clicking input/output connections causes all the nodes to stack on top of each other. That was a bug in 2016.5... its back too. Unusable update.

Don't know about shading group, it never happened here, but can confirm the problems with the Hypershade:

- it loads the default layout and then it refreshes the custom layout, it's overall very slow to start and load up up

- it happens that nodes are stuck on top of each other, and even the rearrange graph button doesn't work. You need to play with hide/show attribute on-off and then it works again.

- the grid in the hypershade does not show correctly most of the time

Old 6 Days Ago   #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcon
yes, you know, the nodes that are above material nodes * They shouldn't be visible in the outliner and they can't be hidden.

but I've actually found out the real problem & solution:

U4 is not backwards compatible with U3 scenes without introducing bugs. This includes the outliner bug as well as Hypershade nodes stacking.
To fix bugs you have to import the scene into a new scene in U4. It should be noted that U4 import forces the use of namespaces, even if you deselect it... so that is one U4 feature that's broken

If you untick the "use namespaces", just put "resolve" to "clashing nodes" rather than "all nodes" it should work.

As for the shading groups in the outliner, with my current preferences i don't see *any shading group, but when i delete my preferences i see them only on startup.*
Must be an option to tick or something

Old 5 Days Ago   #39
So I installed U4 on my workstation. When I send a scene to the farm, which runs U3, I get:

Error: line 1: Unknown Maya file version: 2017ff05.

Opening the scene with the UI on a U3 machine works, but with render.exe it doesn't.

Nice one!

Old 5 Days Ago   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by djx
Sorry to have to spoil the party... There appears to be a major problem when time snap is enabled in the Graph Editor.

It shows up pretty quickly when working with dense mocap data where there are keys on every frame. Say you want to interactively move the time of a bunch of frames or maybe the entire range. So you select all the keys and shift-middle mouse drag. If you do this when you are zoomed out (say "frame all" with 1000's frames of mocap) and when the current time is somewhere in the middle of the selected frames then you end up with several keys snapping to the same frame (current time).

We can probably find workarounds for my specific example here, but not being able to confidently drag keys interactively is going to be problematic.

(I no longer have easy access to update 3, but I tested this scenario in 2016 sp6 and it works correctly at any zoom)

David

Hi David,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We have reproduced the issue and we are looking into it.

Best regards,
Marie-Jeanne

Old 2 Days Ago   #41
I was really hoping they had got their act together with update 4, but no since updating, i've had way more crashes..just awful.

There's clearly a lot wrong under the hood. For example, the UI, im really happy they have fixed the crazy window scaling with the UV editor (how did that get through testing), but there are still issues, such as buttons being stretched out and remaining that way until a reset...so clearly the UI code isnt great. It feels like the updates are bandaids on a major wound.

Also for the record, an*install time of 45 mins or so, can anyone remember install any program that took this long? Speaks volumes.

Sorry to have a go again, but come on Autodesk..get your shiz together.

(P.s..if an autodesk member responds in the autodesk forum saying they have never had a crash with maya 2017, you need to be asking some serious questions about your testing process)

Last edited by francomanko : 2 Days Ago at 10:31 AM.

reply share thread